Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
scoobyclub
Streaming Star

Replacement Remote for Streambar 4k

Jump to solution

I purchased a Streambar 4K off Ebay. It has the dreaded battery draining issue. The seller mentioned it but I didn't expect batteries to not even last 24 hours.

I actually like the feel of the remote and am thinking of trying the battery eliminator option ( essentially power it from USB ). Anyone tried this?

Alternatively, does anyone know of any more basic or universal remote control that will work with it. I am unclear whether any of the remote is infra-red or whether it is all wifi.

I am exploring these option as it is clear from these forums, despite the huge number of posts over the last year, that Roku have no intention of even trying to fix this or even admit the problem. So the above seems the only alternative.

I have thought about buying a replacement but since there is no diagnosis of the problem then this seems like it might be a pointless exercise. I have not idea whether it is the remote or the Streambar causing it. I do think it is a problem of the remote being always on and transmitting for some reason.

For reference I have an Apple TV with bluetooth remote that runs off a small flat disc battery and I can't remember when I last need to replace it. At least a year ago. Now that is what should be happening.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
scoobyclub
Streaming Star

Re: Replacement Remote for Streambar 4k

Jump to solution

I am removing notifications from this thread to stop me getting diverted again.

Thanks @Tivoburkee for your help. Fingers crossed I find a solution that I can make work. I probably will it is just taking rather longer than I would like.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
16 REPLIES 16
Michelle3
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

If the remote has voice functionality, and TV mute/volume controls, then it is WiFi-Direct.  However if the remote does not have any of those features at all, then it is the standard IR model.  
Have you tried replacing the batteries to see if the remote actually works or not? That could probably solve the dreaded drain issue.

~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
scoobyclub
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

The remote does work except for the battery issue. I have tried all sorts of "fixes", batteries etc I can literally see the percentage indicator of new batteries go down about 2% every few minutes when I am using the remote control.  
I wasn't sure whether the remote control was a mix of IR and wi-fi as the front of it looks like the plastic an IR control might have. I can live without voice control which obviously uses wifi.

I can use the remote on my ipad/iphone but I do prefer proper remote controls. Feels much better.

Batteries should last a good few months otherwise the convenience isn't worth the cost.

0 Kudos
Michelle3
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I’m going to have to tag @RokuKariza-D so that he can help you more on this issue.

~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
scoobyclub
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Thanks but I have been reading a lot of posts on the forum and there is only boilerplate responses. There has been no solution posted despite the volume and longstanding nature of the problem. It is an engineering fault, probably software.

Hence why I was asking about other options.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

You can buy a new remote, just go to local walmart for $19.88 voice remote. You can skip wifi remote altogether and go with universal remote. You Streambar will accept IR commands, if you have it connected to the HDMI-ARC on your tv, and have the tv recognize it as a cec device, any universal remote that can control standard Roku, then your brand's tv code will control your Streambar volume. 

UEI made remote will give access to the Streambar volume and tv power with help of 5-digit advanced codes(EFC), which are codes for individual commands. the Inteset 422-3:

Amazon.com: Inteset 4-in-1 Universal Backlit IR Learning Remote for use with Apple TV, Xbox One, Rok...

Or the Onn 6 universal remote from walmart:

onn. R113663 6-Device Universal Remote - Walmart.com

The Roku code is 03061 or 3061.

The advanced codes are:

power 00147

volume up 00134

volume down 00136

mute 00140

To map it to a key on the UEI universal remote:

1. roku device

2. press and hold SETUP for two blinks, release

3. enter 9 9 4

4. press SETUP for one blink

5. enter 5-digit code

6. pick a key

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
scoobyclub
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Thankyou, this is really useful ( although I'm in the UK so will have to find equivalents ). I will need to research some of the acronyms. 

Just to clarify, is the TV remote sending codes to TV and then to the Roku streambar via HDMI or does the Roku actually have an IR receiver that can process the commands from the universal remote.

I know I can pickup a new remote here for about that price. Knowing how widespread the problem is and not knowing where the fault lies I'm reluctant to buy a new one for something I just bought though.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

The Streambar accepts IR directly, so any universal remote with roku code will control majority of the commands, just not the volume without help of advanced codes. One-For-All remote models are more common in the UK then over here nowadays. Look for urc-7880, and there's the OFA streamer remote urc-7935, it doesn't accept advanced codes above, but works great on a Streambar  and with tv volume controlling the streambar volume by cec. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
scoobyclub
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Wow . You know your stuff. Thanks very much. I thought this was a possibility but hadn't found anything definitive in all the posts and internet sites I trawled.

0 Kudos
scoobyclub
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Any idea if JVC ( rebranded Panasonic TV ) can be set up for CEC?

I did a factory reset ( didn't fix the remote issue ) and in the process it said my TV didn't support ARC. It actually does but I had the wrong HDMI port. I switched it to the HDMI-ARC port but it still wouldn't recognise it. It seems to detect it as 4k 60fps TV so I am assuming the HDMI cable is correct.

I have no idea whether CEC can be set or not. Can't find it.

I happened to have an optical cable which works so I can get sound out for now.

The good thing is that the soundbar definitely sounds better than the TV but I am still finding the general user experience buggy and frustrating.

0 Kudos