Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jayoh999
Level 9

Replacement RC-97 remote not controlling receiver volume?

Jump to solution

I have an older Roku Premiere.  The buttons eventually went south on the remote, which, did allow volume up/down on the receiver.  I have purchased a replacement RC-97 remote from Jeff's Delivery Service and it does not offer this feature, only TV volume, alas!  I will return this, but my question is this: Does Roku offer any replacement remote that still does vary the receiver volume?  Here's the thing ladies & gentlemen, some of us don't use the lousy backfiring, TV speakers.  We have old fashioned HT systems, 5.1; 7.1; 9.1 ...etc.  We then require a decent remote to augment or diminish the level on the AV receiver.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Replacement RC-97 remote not controlling receiver volume?

Jump to solution

Roku remotes only control tvs directly, either by hdmi-cec like your old remote did or by IR like newer remotes do. It is up to the TV to control audio device via it's hdmi-cec. The gaming remote sold by roku doesn't have tv IR board, so it would only control the tv by hdmi-cec.

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4\
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

Roku remotes only control tvs directly, either by hdmi-cec like your old remote did or by IR like newer remotes do. It is up to the TV to control audio device via it's hdmi-cec. The gaming remote sold by roku doesn't have tv IR board, so it would only control the tv by hdmi-cec.

Edmund

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
jayoh999
Level 9

Jump to solution

Edmund, does Roku not sell a remote capable of controlling volume on a receiver, as my old Premiere did?

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

You may not want to believe it but your premiere remote NEVER controlled your av receiver directly, it controlled the tv that controlled your av receiver. Your original premiere remote volume keys were only there to control the volume of the built-in headphone jack on the remote, after an update from roku it then controlled the tv volume by hdmi-cec, this a signal sent over the hdmi cable from you roku to the tv. Then your tv had its own hdmi-cec and thats what actually controlled the av receivers volume. If the tv isn't controlling your av receiver anymore, try refreshing the cec device in the menu of your tv. Your brand of tv may call it something else instead of cec. So NO roku never and still doesn't sell remotes that control av equipment volume directly. 

Edmund

0 Kudos
jayoh999
Level 9

Jump to solution

Thanks, Edmund, but it's already been sent back.  The CDN post office worker said many, many packages are being returned to Amazon.  So, sir, then tell me this, why can't Roku offer a direct replacement for the Premiere, as it was originally shipped only 3 years back in 2017?  I'll tell you why.  'Cause the monetary greed that is destroying America and all t'other countries that have bought into this form of capitalism, is destroying the planet's ecosystem. 

Decades ago, government-mandated that car companies that went **bleep** up, like Studebaker or Rambler, had to keep spares in warehouses for many years maybe decades, I dunno.  That's likely all gone now as this consumer culture is all throwaway! Upper management marketers at Roku know that most users do not have and cannot afford a multi-channel system, so the **bleep** with folks [like me] who have old HT setups. 

The new one, voice-activated, was thinner and used AAA batteries rather than AA ones from the Premiere.  It was also 50% slower at accessing commands from the buttons. Not as good at a far distance either.  The original one could access commands from over 50 ft away in 3 different rooms! Silicone oil leaked outta the circuit and polluted the micro voltage contact points on the most used buttons. I fixed it several times and then the volume buttons quit altogether.

There's far too much lack of quality control.  The biggest cultural mistake the West made was to allow China to become the factory for the world. And greedy corporations couldn't care less.

0 Kudos