Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Chopper911
Level 7

Replacement Power Cable for Streaming Stick

Jump to solution

The power cord adapter for my streaming stick is a bit short and during use, the mini-usb part bent an broke. I was inclined to just buy a usb to mini usb but there seems to be some sort of item in the middle of the cord that seems to be an interference disrupter. Can I just go to the local electronics store and buy a generic power cable (usb to mini usb)? I noticed on ROKU's site I can get a new one for $19.99 and they also sell a longer one (without the interference doohickey) for $9.99. Advice welcomed. TY.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Tivoburkee
Level 20

Re: Replacement Power Cable for Streaming Stick

Jump to solution

If the WR001 is whats broken you will need another, which you can't buy other from roku. Unless you go used on ebay. If its the second part the usb extender, that can be replace and purchased from other sellers. And buy a longer usb extender if the original one was too short. 

Edmund

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
atc98092
Level 21

Jump to solution

I believe on your model Stick the power cable is also the WiFi antenna. So while any USB cable would power the device you might not be able to connect it to anything. I believe you have to use Roku power cable for that one. The model number of you Stick would tell you for sure. If I have it right, the model 3810 is this way. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Chopper911
Level 7

Jump to solution

Hmm interesting. I thought the stick itself was the antenna. In any event, the piece in the middle of my power cable says Model: WR001

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Level 20

Jump to solution

If the WR001 is whats broken you will need another, which you can't buy other from roku. Unless you go used on ebay. If its the second part the usb extender, that can be replace and purchased from other sellers. And buy a longer usb extender if the original one was too short. 

Edmund

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

Jump to solution

The Streaming Stick+, model 3810, has the WiFi antenna within the power cable. All other Roku devices have the antenna within the device itself. They changed the Stick+ to improve WiFi reception. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Level 20

Jump to solution

@Chopper911 wrote:

The power cord adapter for my streaming stick is a bit short and during use, the mini-usb part bent an broke. I was inclined to just buy a usb to mini usb but there seems to be some sort of item in the middle of the cord that seems to be an interference disrupter. Can I just go to the local electronics store and buy a generic power cable (usb to mini usb)? I noticed on ROKU's site I can get a new one for $19.99 and they also sell a longer one (without the interference doohickey) for $9.99. Advice welcomed. TY.

You need the "USB Power Cable with Long-range Wireless Receiver" sold on the bottom of this page: www.roku.com/products/accessories/streaming-stick. This contains the enhanced wifi receiver (not a disturbance interruptor) for the Streaming Stick+ and without it you'll have no wifi reception.  This is also called the WR001, but you hardly see this term used anywhere lately.

The other USB cable is just a USB extension cable in case the above can't reach your power adapter.  You can use a standard USB extension from other sources if you need a longer one (USB A plug on one end, USB A socket on other end) -- or a plain old extension cord to move the power adaptor closer.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos