Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Chopper911

Replacement Power Cable for Streaming Stick

Jump to solution

The power cord adapter for my streaming stick is a bit short and during use, the mini-usb part bent an broke. I was inclined to just buy a usb to mini usb but there seems to be some sort of item in the middle of the cord that seems to be an interference disrupter. Can I just go to the local electronics store and buy a generic power cable (usb to mini usb)? I noticed on ROKU's site I can get a new one for $19.99 and they also sell a longer one (without the interference doohickey) for $9.99. Advice welcomed. TY.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Replacement Power Cable for Streaming Stick

Jump to solution

If the WR001 is whats broken you will need another, which you can't buy other from roku. Unless you go used on ebay. If its the second part the usb extender, that can be replace and purchased from other sellers. And buy a longer usb extender if the original one was too short. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
atc98092

Jump to solution

I believe on your model Stick the power cable is also the WiFi antenna. So while any USB cable would power the device you might not be able to connect it to anything. I believe you have to use Roku power cable for that one. The model number of you Stick would tell you for sure. If I have it right, the model 3810 is this way. 

Dan

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Chopper911

Jump to solution

Hmm interesting. I thought the stick itself was the antenna. In any event, the piece in the middle of my power cable says Model: WR001

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

If the WR001 is whats broken you will need another, which you can't buy other from roku. Unless you go used on ebay. If its the second part the usb extender, that can be replace and purchased from other sellers. And buy a longer usb extender if the original one was too short. 

Edmund

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

The Streaming Stick+, model 3810, has the WiFi antenna within the power cable. All other Roku devices have the antenna within the device itself. They changed the Stick+ to improve WiFi reception. 

Dan

0 Kudos
makaiguy

Jump to solution

@Chopper911 wrote: 

The power cord adapter for my streaming stick is a bit short and during use, the mini-usb part bent an broke. I was inclined to just buy a usb to mini usb but there seems to be some sort of item in the middle of the cord that seems to be an interference disrupter. Can I just go to the local electronics store and buy a generic power cable (usb to mini usb)? I noticed on ROKU's site I can get a new one for $19.99 and they also sell a longer one (without the interference doohickey) for $9.99. Advice welcomed. TY.

You need the "USB Power Cable with Long-range Wireless Receiver" sold on the bottom of this page: www.roku.com/products/accessories/streaming-stick. This contains the enhanced wifi receiver (not a disturbance interruptor) for the Streaming Stick+ and without it you'll have no wifi reception.  This is also called the WR001, but you hardly see this term used anywhere lately.

The other USB cable is just a USB extension cable in case the above can't reach your power adapter.  You can use a standard USB extension from other sources if you need a longer one (USB A plug on one end, USB A socket on other end) -- or a plain old extension cord to move the power adaptor closer.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
Dougeee
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

That is a long range Wi-Fi receiver but you can only get from  Roku.

Their site lists them, but they've been out of stock for a year. But you can buy 5 million roku sticks with the cable.

0 Kudos
rq22
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have a new Streaming Stick+ 3810X that crashes every few minutes when plugged into an extension cord and there's no way to use it when plugged it directly into a wall outlet since its cord is so short. I tried it on 3 TVs and it either crashed or wouldn't even load the home screen on all of them when it was plugged into the outlet. I tested it plugged directly into the wall outlet from its own power cable and it works fine, but is unusable that way. There are no other devices connected to any of the TVs. I don't see a longer  "USB Power Cable with Long-range Wireless Receiver" available for sale. What to do? Thanks.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@rq22 are you always using the same extension cord on those tests? There might be an issue with the extension cord. 

Also, are you referring to a USB extension cord, or a cord that plugs into the wall? I've run Rokus on power strips for years without any issue. If you're using a USB extension cord, that's likely the issue. Bring the AV power outlet closer to the Roku.

Another option would be to use an HDMI extension cable to move the Roku further away from the TV/closer to the AC outlet. That would have the added benefit of getting the Roku away from the TV and run cooler. 

Dan

0 Kudos
rq22
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I used the same extension cord on all tests-- a regular electrical extension cord that plugs into the wall. I will try another extension cord and an HDMI extension cable and see if either solves the problem. Thanks.

0 Kudos