Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shootintrouble
Level 7

Remotes not working in parent's house

Jump to solution

I have now tried 3 Roku sticks and 2 Stick+'s in my parent's house.  This last Stick+ is the newest 2019 model.  All 5 of these Roku's worked perfectly in my home when I set them up.  But in my parent's home the remote does not work properly on any of them.  Sometimes it works ok, sometimes it takes a while for a button press to register, other times it just seems like it is frozen.  This newest Roku Stick+ seems worse than the last.  But again, they all work fine in my house when I set them up for my parent's before giving it to them.

It seems like the problem is interference between the remote and the Roku.  They have Optimum with whatever wireless router they give customers.  They have only 1 laptop and it's usually powered down when they are trying to use the Roku.  The Roku's wireless connection to the network is showing as excellent. 

Once something is started, it streams just fine.  No issues during streaming.  But when my mother tries to fast forward it might take 10 seconds to start fast forwarding, then when she hits play again it might take a while to do that.  

What can we do?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
renojim
Level 21

Re: Remotes not working in parent's house

Jump to solution

I would try changing WiFi channels and, if possible, WiFi band.  If you're using 2.4GHz, try 5GHz and vice versa (if they have a dual band router).

-JT

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Tivoburkee
Level 20

Jump to solution

All I can suggest is getting roku that accepts IR remote, and if you wish tv controls, get them an universal remote that has roku code. Since only wifi roku remotes have tv controls.  Sorry for your troubles.

Edmund
0 Kudos
renojim
Level 21

Jump to solution

I would try changing WiFi channels and, if possible, WiFi band.  If you're using 2.4GHz, try 5GHz and vice versa (if they have a dual band router).

-JT

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Shootintrouble
Level 7

Jump to solution

The worst part about this is that my parent's house is 2 hours away and I won't be able to go back there for a while. 

0 Kudos
Shootintrouble
Level 7

Jump to solution

How do I get in touch with Roku support about this?  Are they on the forum or do I have to call them?

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@Shootintrouble 

Thanks for the inquiry.

We would recommend what @renojim and @Tivoburkee have suggested.

In addition, you can check out some wireless troubleshooting tips here: Tips for improving the wireless connection to your Roku® streaming device.

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Shootintrouble
Level 7

Jump to solution

Hi Danny, thanks for the reply.

Tivoburkee recommended to get a Roku with an IR remote.  Is that really what you would recommend?  Returning this Roku and only using (I assume) older models?  

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Level 20

Jump to solution

The current Roku Ultra, Ultra LT, Premiere +, Premiere, Express +, and Express all can use IR remotes. Some do come with Wifi remotes, but Its clear you Parents house is full of Interference making such remotes unusable.

Edmund
0 Kudos
Shootintrouble
Level 7

Jump to solution

Ok, thanks.  I will see about changing the router channel, if possible.

0 Kudos
Shootintrouble
Level 7

Jump to solution

I just spoke with my mother who said she moved the Roku to another television and it’s not giving her this problem.

Could the problem be from the television?  It is a Vizio. 

0 Kudos