Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nlewis1324
Reel Rookie

Remote won’t stop blinking or work

My remote randomly stopped worked pressed the pairing button the remote now it won’t stop blinking green. Tried resetting 10 times it won’t go past this initial set up screen. I can control the volume and power but that is it. I’ve changed the batteries 5x brand new 

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Remote won’t stop blinking or work

@Nlewis1324 wrote:

My remote randomly stopped worked pressed the pairing button the remote now it won’t stop blinking green....

That is expected behavior until the pairing is completed. But...

@Nlewis1324 wrote:

... it won’t go past this initial set up screen. ...

That brings up a question. Describe the Set Up Screen. What does it say? Because if it's an actual Roku Setup Screen and not simply a Remote Pairing Screen, then something else is going on and we need to run that down.

@Nlewis1324 wrote:

...I can control the volume and power but that is it....

The remote is generating IR codes for the TV. Volume and power buttons were initially configured for that TV, and will remain so. That's separate from pairing the remote to the Roku, but often will be auto-configured if the Roku and TV can talk properly.

One other thing...

@Nlewis1324 wrote:

... pressed the pairing button...

The Pairing Button is located under the battery cover of the remote. Is that the button you pressed? Or did you press a button on the Roku as well?

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Nlewis1324
Reel Rookie

The screen is like the unboxing screen where you pick the language basically like I got a brand new Roku. I pressed the button on the remote 

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@Nlewis1324 

You should not get the Language Screen until after the Pairing Remote screen. That means the Roku device thinks there is a remote paired. And, if there is a remote paired, and if that remote is the one in your hand, then there is no reason to attempt to pair it again.

If you have the Language screen, and the only remote you have isn't paired, and won't pair (since you mentioned pressing the pairing button), then I would suggest a full Factory Reset.

Remove the batteries from the remote.

Press/hold the Reset button/pinhole (depending on model) on the Roku device. Do this for a full 30 seconds. I say again, a full 30 seconds.

After 30 seconds, release the Reset button/pinhole and go through initial setup, to include putting the batteries in the remote and following the other initial setup instructions on the Roku Setup Support page.

If that doesn't resolve, then the device could be bad. How old is it?

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Nlewis1324
Reel Rookie

I’ve had it since 2020. It will let me turn the roku on and off control volume but that is it. The green light still blinks after doing what you suggest. I won’t let me use it as a remote to pick a language 

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

You can't factory reset the remote. And when you factory reset the Roku itself it has no effect on the remote as you  found out. Because its still programmed for your tv brand. 

Pull the power from the Roku for 10 seconds or so, plug it back in, when it stops bouncing, start pressing and holding the pairing button in the battery compartment even if it's already blinking, then release just let them communicate with each other. A Roku is in sniffer mode looking for wifi remote signal just after power interruption. And you should never just rely on the remote blinking on its own, you have to press the pairing button for 5 seconds anyways!!

Edmund

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Nlewis1324
Reel Rookie

This still didn’t work either. Still won’t let me use the remote 

0 Kudos