Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BP9032

Remote won’t shut off my roku

Jump to solution

My roku remote won’t shut off my roku. It shut it off once and then turned back on. And since then it won’t shut off. I have to literally unplug my tv (I don’t have cable just roku). The remote works and I can move around screens but the power button seems to not work #help 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Remote won’t shut off my roku

Jump to solution

@BP9032 

Thanks for the post.

Please be aware that the power button on the remote does not power down the remote. If the remote is paired to your TV, it is meant to control the power and volume of your TV. 

For more information, visit our Support page here: Can I power my Roku® streaming player on or off?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@BP9032 

Thanks for the post.

Please be aware that the power button on the remote does not power down the remote. If the remote is paired to your TV, it is meant to control the power and volume of your TV. 

For more information, visit our Support page here: Can I power my Roku® streaming player on or off?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Colster
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Clearly he is not talking about powering down the remote itself. He is saying that it won't turn the Roku off. 

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

@Colster wrote:

Clearly he is not talking about powering down the remote itself. He is saying that it won't turn the Roku off. 

Why resurrect an eight month old post because you found a typo? He meant to type Roku, not remote again. You can tell by the info in the link he provided. Clearly.

BGO

Jump to solution

When your typo is saying the completely wrong word and this misleading everyone who will read it it needs to be corrected. Thanks to every colorful individual in this thread, who helped me piece together that, if I set my Roku to control my TV, then it will control only my tv and not the power functions on my external Roku device. Which makes sense if the TV was a smart TV running a Roku app, but is absolutely doofy if you have a dumb tv running an external Roku like me. Now I have to find out how to undo the setting, and manage 2 remotes instead of 1. Not the end of the world.... But that's doofy

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@BGO wrote:

if I set my Roku to control my TV, then it will control only my tv and not the power functions on my external Roku device.

And if you don't set it to control your TV, then it will not control the power function on either the TV or the Roku, so don't unset anything and keep using one remote if you wish.

0 Kudos