Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nalrah
Level 7

Remote with volume control buttons doesn't support TV control?

I have a Roku 4. The remote has volume control buttons. So when I go to Settings | Remote, select my remote, and select the option to use the remote to control the TV, why does Roku respond "The current remote does not support TV control"? What are the volume control buttons for then?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
jeffrok
Level 12

Re: Remote with volume control buttons doesn't support TV control?

I believe those volume buttons are for headphone volume control, not TV volume control.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

It will control volume via CEC, but it's not capable of using IR to control the TV. Only the latest Roku players have remotes with that ability. My Ultra 4640 doesn't have that function either. But it controls the volume on my AVR just fine. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
nalrah
Level 7

"jeffrok" wrote:
I believe those volume buttons are for headphone volume control, not TV volume control.

Ah, I see. Thanks. The volume controls are in the same place as they are on the remote for the Ultra I have in another room, and which operate the TV's volume, so I assumed their function would be the same!
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 12

Yeah, sometimes Roku doesn't make it very clear as to which models of boxes and remotes do what. They may look similar, but behave slightly different.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos