Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Crowe525
Channel Surfer

Remote will power off Toshiba TV, but won’t power on

I just purchased 2 Roku Express 4K+’s. They will power off and control volume on my Toshiba TV’s as well as my Samsung TV’s, but will not power on the Toshiba ones. I have tried multiple remotes and multiple pairing codes. Does anyone have a fix? There is no interference when attempting to power on because the power off just fine. Thank you!

0 Kudos
14 REPLIES 14
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Remote will power off Toshiba TV, but won’t power on

@Crowe525 

You said "multiple pairing codes." That's confusing to me, because you don't enter codes on a Roku remote. There is an interface via the Roku menu to configure (not pair) but there is still no code to enter.

Are you using the Roku Voice Remote that came with the Express 4k+?

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Crowe525
Channel Surfer

Thanks for the response. What I meant by multiple codes is that I had read somewhere else in the community to try and not pick the first option when the music stops playing when trying to pair the remote.

Yes it is the remote provided in the package. I also tried another remote and paired it and it did the same thing. Volume and power off would work, but power on would not. 

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@Crowe525 

Gotcha. Just wanted to make sure you weren't talking about a universal remote.

Now, you may already know this, but just wanting to be sure.

If you try the first one, and the sound goes away, but the power doesn't work as expected, you start again. When the sound goes away, use the TVs remote to turn the sound back on before you tell it "no" and proceed to the next one. Again, you may already be doing it this way, but I'm just wanting to make sure before we dig into deeper solutions.

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

Crowe525
Channel Surfer

I hadn’t tried using the remote for the TV, but I just did and it seems as only one pairing number worked. Same result that the tv will power off, but will not power on. The blue light on the Roku express blinks when pushing the power button so I do know it works. 

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@Crowe525 

Express? Is it an Express you have, or an Express 4k+? Those use very different remotes.

When you configure the remote for the TV, you are no longer attempting to use CEC to control the TV, but IR signals from the Roku remote. I haven't really paid attention, but I was thinking that IR controls for the TV didn't show as light flashes. I could be remembering wrong.

@Tivoburkee may have a suggestion. Others may have good ideas and other suggestions, but he's kind of the remote expert.

DBDukes

0 Kudos
Crowe525
Channel Surfer

I have the Express 4K+. It is frustrating that literally everything else works except to turn the tv on. No clue why that is the case. Appreciate the info.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

If it were set to cec there weren't be any flashes from the remote, in cec mode its wifi from the remote to the roku, then its cec commands over the hdmi cable to the tv. For IR see if the apex or changhong tv codes work any better. 

Edmund

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Crowe525
Channel Surfer

I’ll try the changhong as the apex didn’t work. Thanks for the advice. 

0 Kudos
svenbot
Reel Rookie

neither the apex or changhong work for me.

0 Kudos