Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FLmm

Remote will not turn Roku box on

Roku remote will turn the tv on but will not turn the Roku box on without unplugging the electrical cord and replugging.  Happens ever time I want to turn the unit on.  Did not happen the first few weeks I had the unit and I’ve only had it for about 6 weeks. After unplugging and replugging the electrical cord the box will be on without me touching the remote power button.  Works fine otherwise.  

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Streamer317
Roku Guru

Re: Remote will not turn Roku box on

A Roku does not need to turn on or off. The remote will however turn on off your TV. Rokus are designed to never turn off. Exactly which Roku model do you have? Sounds to me like your Roku is going to sleep after 4 hours. You can go into your network settings on your Roku and disable bandwidth saver. Also is your Roku plugged into USB power of your TV or is it plugged into the wall? Plugging in into the wall using the AC power adapter is the best way. There is no on and off button for a Roku. 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Roku players don't turn "off". They might go into a sleep mode, but they are always on as long as they have power. It sounds more like the Roku are the TV are not communicating over HDMI correctly, so the Roku stays in sleep mode. Next time, before you power cycle the Roku, try changing the TV to a different input than back again. Need to see if it's an HDMI handshake issue. 

Also, please confirm your Roku model number, so we know what device we're dealing with.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
DBDukes

@FLmm 

Couple of things.

First, the power switch on the remote isn't for the Roku device. That's always on. Now, it can go to a low power mode (could be described as a sleep mode), but the power button on the remote doesn't enter into things.

Next, have you tried pressing the Home button on the remote? Does that wake the Roku?

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
makaiguy

@FLmm--

Roku operating system version 10.5 added added a new "Power" item in the "Settings > System" menu for some of the newer Roku devices. The new "Auto power savings" item there will put your Roku device into a low power standby condition after a period of inactivity, such as when your TV has been turned off for a while.

Pressing a Roku control key on your Roku remote (not Power, Volume, or Mute buttons if your remote has them, as they act on the TV, not the Roku) should bring the Roku out of standby and back to full operation. Pulling the power for a few seconds to restart the Roku will restore full operation as well.

If you have a "Settings > System > Power" menu item, deactivating any power saving options you find under "Auto power savings" should prevent your Roku from going into standby in the first place.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos