Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shipthebanjos
Reel Rookie

Remote was controlling receiver perfectly, now it’s not???

Jump to solution

I have a Denon AVR-X1500H receiver hooked up to my TV. I bought the enhanced roku remote and it was a breeze to set up and it worked perfectly off the bat.

Then I moved and set my system up exactly as it was before (I took a picture to verify) and now I can’t get the remote to control the volume or power of my TV.

I feel like I’ve exhausted my options at this point. I’ve reset the roku countless times. Reset my receiver. Tested all connections. I even connected the roku directly to my TV with the HDMI and re-established that connection, which worked.  Then when I tried to set it back up with my receiver it doesn’t sync.

Is it time to return it and try another remote? 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Remote was controlling receiver perfectly, now it’s not???

Jump to solution

No roku remote controls a AV receiver or soundbar directly, it only controls tv's. Its the tv that controls the audio gear by hdmi-cec. Go into the menu of the tv and refresh the hdmi devices attached to it, then it should list all cec devices plugged in. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

No roku remote controls a AV receiver or soundbar directly, it only controls tv's. Its the tv that controls the audio gear by hdmi-cec. Go into the menu of the tv and refresh the hdmi devices attached to it, then it should list all cec devices plugged in. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Shipthebanjos
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

That worked perfectly!! Thank you so much. You just saved my sanity

0 Kudos
JoC

Jump to solution

OMG, THANK YOU! I had the same problem after 7 months of it working perfectly, and I was ready to throw my Roku remote out the window. 

Dogtag114
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Worked for me too.  On an older tv it’s called HDMI audio control or similar.

0 Kudos
bug99
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

To be clear, is the Roku device connected to the AV receiver, and the TV display connected to the output of the AV Receiver, and the Roku device is configured to control the TV brand and model audio (which is disabled), but when a volume or mute is sent by the remote, it actually controls the AV receiver with a back command signal from the TV over the HDMI cable, not loosing any surround detail?

prosete1
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Well, I had hoped the HDMI-CEC control enabled by setting up AnyNet+ on my Samsung TV would have worked, but it didn't. I had the same problem as the OP: My Roku remote controlled my Yamaha a/v, Samsung TV, and Roku -- until it stopped. Now it won't affect the Yamaha a/v at all although my Samsung has the AnyNet+ activated as suggested via its Setup app. My Roku is connected to one of my Yamaha a/v HDMI ports and its HDMI Out is connected to one of my Samsung's HDMI ports. I also tried inputting the a/v to the Samsung's ARC HDMI port but no luck there either. There has to be something I'm not doing right -- or it's a greater problem with the 2020 version of the Roku Ultra I now have.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@prosete1

Thanks for the post.

Please be aware that Roku device remotes do no support AVR controls, only TV power and volume.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
HighZee58

Jump to solution

I have a Harman Kardon AVR hooked to a TCL Roku TV via the HDMI ARC ports and the TV remote controls the volume on the AVR and will even turn it off, although it won’t turn the AVR on. The key is the ACR port, you need one on the TV and the receiver. Good luck!

0 Kudos
prosete1
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Well, I, of little faith! It's working fine now -- my Roku is back to controlling my Yamaha a/v (all functions except power on). All along I had been trying to make the changes to my Samsung TV to enable the ACR port and nothing I tried worked. Then it dawned on me that I needed to power off then on my TV so that it would enable the ACR port automatically once it recognized the attached devices. As soon as I turned it off and back on again, the TV did what it was supposed to do, recognized the a/v by its own model number, and made it all work again. Problem solved!