Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aircool
Level 7

Remote un-pairing

Hi,

I have for the last 4-5 years used three Roku 3 without any issues, now over the last 3 months all 3 sporadically un-pair with their respective remotes and I mean daily sometimes even when I am using the remote(s)!

Tried changing channels on my router (which I have had for 3 years) and I am using 2.4ghz.

Is this due to a software update that is corrupt?

I have also on my iPhone have a Roku app that never seems to un-pair with any of them.

I should add that two are wireless and one is hard wired...

Anyone else having this problem?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
boogernose
Level 10

Re: Remote un-pairing

Check the batterys.

Are you just asking if we are also having problems? Not me.

Maybe you have some weirdo neighbor with a Ham radio setup.

In the meantime checkout the stickies HERE. 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 15

Hey, ham radio operators aren't weirdos. Smiley Tongue In fact we are often excellent help when you have interference issues.

But it's highly unlikely anyone nearby is operating anything in the 2.4 GHz band, other than other WiFi stations. This is a very uncommon radio band for non-WiFi uses. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Aircool
Level 7

No weirdos (that would effect my roku anyway) or radio hams nearby, batteries all OK (not using 1.2v re-chargables either), re-checked the stickies, still un-pairs almost ever day - all three units...

0 Kudos
boogernose
Level 10

Well at least you have the Roku app working well. 

gotta admit I like it even better than the remote.

New remotes are relatively cheap if you wanna go that route.

Good Luck

0 Kudos
Aircool
Level 7

It's very odd, 3xRokus working without any issues for 4 years  then all three start playing up at the same time when nothing has changed other than automatic updates. If I were the suspicious type I might think that the software updates contain a bug that encourages users to update their hardware...

0 Kudos
n2radio
Level 7

I have a Roku 4K TV and have a very similar experience with my remote unpairing in the last month or so.  Using the iphone app is a great workaround, but not everyone in the household has access to a smart device with an app just to turn on the tv.  This is a problem when I am away from home and another family member is simply trying to turn on the tv.  Trying the troubleshooting steps works every time.  However, it takes about 5 minutes to accomplish this and it is happening on nearly a daily basis.  Replacing the batteries have no effect.  Really, a complete reset of the Roku OS resolves it.  My hunch is this is a bug with 'Fast Start' enabled.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 15

@n2radio wrote:

I have a Roku 4K TV and have a very similar experience with my remote unpairing in the last month or so.  Using the iphone app is a great workaround, but not everyone in the household has access to a smart device with an app just to turn on the tv.  This is a problem when I am away from home and another family member is simply trying to turn on the tv.  Trying the troubleshooting steps works every time.  However, it takes about 5 minutes to accomplish this and it is happening on nearly a daily basis.  Replacing the batteries have no effect.  Really, a complete reset of the Roku OS resolves it.  My hunch is this is a bug with 'Fast Start' enabled.

To my knowledge, the Roku TVs all use IR remotes, which do not require pairing. I know the two Roku TVs I have a both IR, including my Sharp 4K set. If the remote wasn't working, then something was likely blocking the infrared signal. IR remotes require a clear line of sight between the remote and the sensor on the TV. That sensor is usually somewhere along the bottom edge of the TV. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
n2radio
Level 7

My TCL Roku TV uses an RF remote.  It will control the tv from any room in the house.  Even if the remote was set for IR, there is nothing blocking the path between the front of the tv and the remote. 

The remote used to require an occasional re-pairing to the tv (ie. every 3-4 months).  Now, it's happening regularly (every day).  It will not pair until I go through a system reset on the tv.  I have a second TCL Roku TV in my bedroom, but it's not a 4k model.  I am not having the re-pairing issue for this tv.

0 Kudos
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Hi,

Thanks for letting us know about the issue that you are experiencing.

If you need a replacement remote for a Roku TV, you would need to contact your TV manufacturer. You can contact TCL here: https://support.tclusa.com/

You can also purchase a remote that is compatible with your Roku TV here: https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/roku-tv

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos