Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
heh007

Remote turning on another TV in house

We have three Roku devices and three remotes in the house. One of the remotes is turning on another TV in the house. Is there a way to program the remote so it has a unique code and will only turn on one TV?

5 REPLIES 5
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Remote turning on another TV in house

That is happening because the IR codes that Roku uses match some other TV brands. Vizio is one example. No, you cannot alter the IR codes used by your Roku nor what your remote emits. 

Some Roku remotes do have the ability to control TVs, and you can set the code they use. But that won't help when the Roku and the TV use the same batch of codes. And there's no way to change what codes are used on either the TV or the Roku. 

I have that problem myself, in that I use a Vizio TV as a computer monitor that is near one of my Roku TVs. What I had to do is shield the IR receiver on the TV so the Roku remote doesn't affect it. That works for me, since I don't actually ever need to use the remote on the TV. Because it's used as a monitor, it's on full time and the input is always the same.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Tivoburkee

To stop the Roku tv from controlling your non-roku tv you can switch to wifi remote, an abandon the IR roku tv remote. You can't stop the non-roku tv remote from controlling your roku tv, because the roku tv will accept both IR & Wifi signals at the same time. 

Edmund

I am not a Roku employee.
jerbob

Well, was looking to buy another roku unit for an outside tv I have but since it seems my roku ultra remote turns on the outside tv when I use it in the house on my tv in the family room, guess I will need to go to some other manufacturers product since roku can't be limited to a specific tv.  It is a shame since I was looking to buy the roku soundbar also. 

0 Kudos
atc98092

@jerbob Yes, Roku remotes can be limited to a specific TV. But that requires using a WiFi Direct remote, not the basic IR remote that most Roku TVs come with. A WiFi remote is paired to a specific Roku, and the IR function is disabled when using WiFi for the remote. 

Your Ultra remote is also WiFi direct, and should only be paired to your Ultra. Look in the TV's Settings/Remote and see if for some reason it's been paired with that remote. You can 'unpair' that remote from the TV and it should not control the TV any longer. It doesn't sound like the TV is in line of sight from your Roku remote, so WiFi Direct is really the only way it can be controlling the TV.

Dan

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

@jerbob 

The reason the roku remote controls both of your tv is because your tv use the same IR code set as each other. Another streaming device will have the same trouble. But if one tv is inside and another is outside, the IR commands from remote won't control both at the same time since there are walls between them. 

Edmund

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos