Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Remote stopped working

My roku remote was working fine with my tv and now suddenly it won’t control the volume or turn the tv off and on.   I’ve had it for months.  Any ideas what to do to fix it? I unplugged the roku and did a rePair but that didn’t help.   

0 Kudos
21 Replies
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Remote stopped working

@shorty91656 

Thanks for the inquiry regarding your remote controlling your TV.

We would recommend taking a look at the troubleshooting steps to set up your remote to control you TV on our Support page here: How do I set up my Roku® enhanced remote to control my TV?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

remote not working?

I have the same issue with my Roku Remote Enhances wireless that came with my Ultra in December 2019. It simply quit while streaming a program. Replaced batteries and attempted restart/repair instructions. Still does not work, There must be some internal manufacturing glitch. How do I replace this remote?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: remote not working?

@Alpheus1 

Thanks for the inquiry.

I would recommend taking a look at the troubleshooting steps on our Support page here: How do I resolve problems with my Roku® enhanced "point-anywhere" remote?

If you are still unable to resolve the issue with your remote, please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number of the Roku device from Settings>System>About. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Hello, Danny,

My wireless remote had been working very well for a long time until a day or so ago.

I have a problem very similar to the one that you were addressing on the community board.

I followed the instructions that you had given as far as I could but got stumped at this step

Settings > Remotes & devices > Remote > Set up remote for TV control.

Once I did that I got the following message: 

The current remote does not support TV control

This same remote has been working fine for years controlling the volume of my TV through my Denon amplifier. I can still control the Roku device itself (select different channels and move through the menus) with the remote, but no volume control.

The other information that you requested is as follows:

Serial YROOOX981324
Software 9.2.0 Build 4807-29
Device ID 7KA6A0981234

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Newer remotes will control TV's by IR, that's what the instructions are for newer remote with tv control feature. Sounds like you have an older Roku 3 remote, it has volume keys originally only for the built-in headphone jack, later with use HDMI-CEC it could control the volume of certain tv brands and models. See if you can refresh the hdmi devices in your tv menu. 

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Thank you for your prompt reply.
You are correct that my unit is an older model but it is a premiere + and the remote control is the one that came with the unit. It is a model RC97 with firmware version 2.01.18.120
It had been working well until a day or so ago with my TV and my amplifier.
I checked my TV menu and I did  not find anything that would have affected the ROKU audio settings.
I have several (Non-ROKU) remotes that can control the volume of of my amplifier both 
directly to the amplifier via IR and the wireless remote for the TV that  can also control the audio through the amplifier,  So I am fairly certain that there isn't a problem on that end (the amp or TV).
These remotes are also not new and have been working properly for a long time.
It is just much more convenient to control the volume using the ROKU remote. 

Note that the Remote setup message that  I see in  ROKU settings menu indicates that that the remote 
"does not support TV control" even though it had been doing just that for years.
When I press the volume buttons on the remote, the light on the Roku unit flashes, indicating that it received the signal, but the volume does not change.
I also reset the ROKU unit, changed the remote batteries, and re-paired the remote to the ROKU unit,
all  to no avail.

Please let me know if you have any other recommendations, and thank you once again for your help. 
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

My issue is very similar. My remote stopped working. I have tried the troubleshooting steps...unplugging it and taking the batteries out. It won't pair with the device.

[personal information removed] serial number is YH003M303173

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@Teddy12 

Thanks for the information.

We would recommend taking a look at the steps outlined in our Support page here:
How do I set up my Roku® enhanced "point-anywhere" remote?
How do I resolve problems with my Roku® enhanced "point-anywhere" remote?

If you are still unable to resolve the issue, please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number of the Roku device from Settings>System>About. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Unresponsive enhanced remote fix?

I have an Ultra 4660RW model (SW v9.3.0, B4170-46) and seeing issues a lot of folks are reporting (lag, etc). But most annoying has been my enhanced remote (RC136-A4) not working. I made sure it paired as reported in settings, but would quit working after a brief time. I got into the Platform Secret Screen thanks to a YouTube video, and focused on the RF Remote Menu settings. I found the Remote 0: line, and it showed my RC136 as expected. When the Remote quits, that line would be appended with (asleep), as though the Remote turned off after a period of inactivity. After a couple cycles of pulling and replacing the batteries, the (asleep) would disappear, only to return after a few minutes. In the RF Remote Menu, under Misc. Settings Menu, there's an option to "Keep awake (until reconnect)", and I turned that on. After doing so, there is a [K] appended to my Remote 0: line, and my remote has remained responsive for 2+ hours now. I suppose the question is Why did this work? Why would this be necessary? Why isn't remote input, pressed buttons, enough to wake it up? Is this a problem with the Roku SW or remote FW versions? Will Roku address this, especially when they recommend a new remote if simple troubleshooting fails?