Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gmw4259
Level 7

Remote stopped working and I tried restarting

I have a Roku Ultra with voice remote bought around Dec 2019. The remote stopped working. I DID read the troubleshooting article about restarting the Roku and removing/replacing the batteries and followed its instructions, both with the current batteries and new ones, about 5 times now but it still won't work at all. 

Fortunately I can still use the Roku device by using the virtual remote in the Roku app but still, I want the actual remote to work.  Now what? 

0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11\
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Remote stopped working and I tried restarting

@gmw4259

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide the serial number of your Roku device from Settings>System>About? I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
jogger
Level 7

Exact same thing happened with me recently. I recently upgraded to the Ultra and had a few problems initially with the pink screen but that doesn't happen that often and have learned to live with it. Now this problem!

I have to unplug the Roku and plug back in because it turns off. The light on the front is also off.

The light on the remote doesn't light up when pushing any buttons, and yes, the batteries are fresh.

Can someone help? Thanks!

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Hey @jogger

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community.

For clarification, when you said that your Roku turns off, is it the remote function, or does the actual Roku player automatically turns off? 

Have you tried all the possible troubleshooting steps available in this Support link: How to resolve issues with your Roku® simple remote or Roku voice remote? Please also reply here with the model number of your Roku device. It can be located at the back or underneath the player itself. 

With more information, we can assist you further.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
jogger
Level 7

Hi, About the Roku PLAYER turning off.... I never noticed that the light on the Roku unit turns off when not in use. Is that normal?

Yes, I have tried all the troubleshooting steps and still, the remote is dead. The power light when pressing a button doesn't even light up. Fresh batteries installed the correct way. 

The model number of the Roku device: 4800X

For now, I am able to use the iphone Roku app to control the Roku player.

Thank you for helping!

0 Kudos
jogger
Level 7

Also, the remote pairing light does not light up after replacing batteries.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@jogger, the light on the Roku itself will turn off whenever the screensaver starts.

As far as the light on the remote, I'm not sure of its function except to say that it does not light whenever you press a button on the remote.  I just tried removing a battery from my remote and putting it back in and the light never came on although the remote is still working.  It lights and/or flashes during the pairing process, but I really don't want to try that right now.  Having had pairing issues myself in the past I hate to unpair a working remote.  Try holding in the pairing button in the battery compartment for several seconds to see if the light ever comes on.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
jogger
Level 7

Tried pairing and did not work. Pairing light didn't even light up. 

I have had Roku's for at least 10 years and know my way around them pretty well. This unit that does not work replaced the Roku 3 I had. The Ultra that I have is less than a year old!

Hopefully Roku can help!

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@RokuKariza-Dwill have to take it from here.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@jogger

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide the serial number/device ID on your Roku device? I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos