Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ffy2

Remote skips or jumps over multiple channels

My remote started to misbehave. The channel selection does not work. For a single button press, the cursor jumps or skips over 2 to 3 channels. This makes selecting what to watch impossible. Tried new batteries. Tried to reboot. Why is the Roku behaving in a manner that makes it unusable? How to fix this?

13 REPLIES 13
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Remote skips or jumps over multiple channels

That sounds like a defective remote. Try using the Roku app on a smart phone or tablet and see if the control works correctly. If it does, then the remote is the issue.

You didn't say what model Roku you have. For any model except a Stick, you can also try an inexpensive IR remote that can be found at Best Buy or other stores. Just make sure it's a universal remote that includes the codes for Roku devices. 

If you have a Roku Stick, they don't support IR so you have to have an official Roku remote to control it. As I said, if it's connected to a network the Roku app can be used to control it. But if a Stick cannot be connected to a network there's no way to control it without a Roku remote. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
NBCTV7477
Reel Rookie

Hi.   Hope all's healthy by you.   Before you go into some complex situation, or replacing the remote control.

Infrared remote controls send instructions to the tv and your Roku device by using frequencies assigned to them.   Yes, your remote is a transmitter.    Now...those frequencies are also within the same ballpark as the way newer electronic lights in your house/office/wherever are installed.    So, try to shut off all lights in the area of your Roku.  It doesn't have to be the lights in the same room as the Roku...those lights (ballasts, transformers and bulbs) transmit, so without pissing off the family, turn off as many as possible and then see if the issues are resolved with your remote.   If so, turn on one light switch at a time...then try the remote to see if it still works.   If you do find that the lights are the issue...replace with a standard electric light bulb if possible, or go to your local electrician supply house, and tell them you need to replace with a non electronic ballast or bulb.  The guys at Depot, etc, won't understand.

atc98092

@NBCTV7477 wrote:

Hi.   Hope all's healthy by you.   Before you go into some complex situation, or replacing the remote control.

Infrared remote controls send instructions to the tv and your Roku device by using frequencies assigned to them.   Yes, your remote is a transmitter.    Now...those frequencies are also within the same ballpark as the way newer electronic lights in your house/office/wherever are installed.    So, try to shut off all lights in the area of your Roku.  It doesn't have to be the lights in the same room as the Roku...those lights (ballasts, transformers and bulbs) transmit, so without pissing off the family, turn off as many as possible and then see if the issues are resolved with your remote.   If so, turn on one light switch at a time...then try the remote to see if it still works.   If you do find that the lights are the issue...replace with a standard electric light bulb if possible, or go to your local electrician supply house, and tell them you need to replace with a non electronic ballast or bulb.  The guys at Depot, etc, won't understand.

Ah, no. IR doesn't use any frequencies at all, other than the infrared (below visible light) spectrum. And that's not "assigned" to anything. Roku WiFi direct remotes do use RF, which happens to be within the same frequency range as 2.4 GHz WiFi. For devices that use Bluetooth (only the Roku 2 XS had a Bluetooth remote), it too is in the same 2.4 GHz radio band, just using a different protocol. 

You mention lights emitting RF, and that's true. But most of them emit a very weak signal and would not cause interference unless it's located extremely close to either the remote or the Roku. 

Dan

NBCTV7477
Reel Rookie

hmmm...we've been doing it all wrong at JPL for decades I guess...or...

Infrared radiation extends from the nominal red edge of the visible spectrum at 700 nanometers (nm) to 1 millimeter (mm). This range of wavelengths corresponds to a frequency range of approximately 430 THz down to 300 GHz. Below infrared is the microwave portion of the electromagnetic spectrum.

No matter....not that important...just try the light switches and know you're not alone.   Same thing happened at VAB at Cape.  Solutions were the same as described. 

Please note that all life, and current research is studying inanimates,  exist at resonant frequency.   No need to get into the atomic particulates.  Throw the switch.

atc98092

OK, I was trying not to be technical, and it seems you were doing the same. I respect the knowledge you are displaying, honestly. I'm a ham radio operator, but I make no claims to be an electronic engineer by any means. If you work (now or previously) at JPL, you have my profound admiration. 🙂

But I do think I was accurate saying that IR remotes don't operate in an assigned frequency band. I have no doubt there are licensed applications that operate at such frequencies. 

Are you thinking of a specific model of light that might be a potential interference source, such as fluorescent or LED? And of course some dimming light switches/controls have been known to emit RF pretty severely. I'm just considering where one could suggest starting when looking for something like this. I don't think I've ever had interference issues with an IR remote, other than bright sunlight hitting the receiver window. 

Dan

so i'm having sort of the same problem but i don't think it's the remote, and here's why. when I press the up, down, left, or right button on my remote(or any button for that matter) the little white lite on my roku premiere starts flashing and never stops(normally there's a quick burst of flashes for every button press). now if i obstruct the signal coming from my ir remote it would stop if it was sending out a constant button press right? now the app does work properly which confuses me because that would indicate it's the remote. these to things contradict the other to me can anyone help?

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

First of all the cellphone app doesn't use IR or RF, it uses IP, the internet. It sounds like IR interference from something in the room, the culprit doesn't have to be the roku remote, it can be any remote in the room., in recent thread it turned out to be a baby monitor interferring.  The roku signal IR signal gets caught in a feedback loop and as long as the IR stream is flowing it sends the roku command over and over again. Stand in front of the roku to see if you can block IR from whichever direction its coming from? 

Edmund

I am not a Roku employee.
Blindwitch333
Reel Rookie

I have the same issue and I’ve tried switching remotes and rokus. It only happens in my room and I have not put any new electronics in here. So I just don’t understand what’s happening. It just stops sometimes n others it is relentless n doesn’t matter which roku or remote I’m using. This juuuust started happening last week btw. I’ve used rokus for years n never had any issues before 

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Blindwitch333

Thanks for the post.

Have you already tried replacing the batteries in your remote to see if that helps?

Please keep us posted and we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator