Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wsalopek
Level 7

Remote's power button has to be pressed TWICE for TV to power on/off

I have a Streaming Stick Plus, and a Toshiba TV (39L22U)...why do I have to press the power button twice?  Is that normal?

Thanks...

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
DBDukes
Level 10

Re: Remote's power button has to be pressed TWICE for TV to power on/off

"wsalopek" wrote:
I have a Streaming Stick Plus, and a Toshiba TV (39L22U)...why do I have to press the power button twice?  Is that normal?

Thanks...

The Roku remotes that control TV power and volume use IR, so if anything is interfering with the line of sight signal, that could cause key presses to not be accepted.

If that’s not the cause, you might want to try to set it up for TV again, only this time, skip the first one that works with it. There’s ate often multiple settings for each brand of TV.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
bneagle
Level 7

What is best way to power on/off my Vizio TV and my Streaming Stick +?

I must learned Comcast is punishing me for cutting my cable.  I have a 1 TB limit to wifi data which I never got close to until I started streaming TV programing through YouTube TV.  Sometimes after I turn it on, it asks if I’m still watching.  I fear I have been streaming to my Roku even though the TV is turned off.

i have tried turning the TV off with the TV remote, assuming it also turns off the streaming stick +.  I have tried only using the Roku remote.  It turns off the TV, but is inconsistent when I turn it back on.  Sometimes I get right back to where I had been when I turned it off.  Sometimes I get the home screen, and sometimes Imget the scrolling “purple screen”.

What is the recommended process?  Thanks.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Level 13

Re: What is best way to power on/off my Vizio TV and my Streaming Stick +?

Only Roku tv will cease streaming when the tv is turned off, with a stick attached to a tv you should always return to the home screen before turning off the tv.

0 Kudos
bneagle
Level 7

Thanks.  And should I use the TV remote to turn off the TV?

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Level 13

As long as you make sure the roku isn't streaming something by putting it on the home screen, it doesn't matter what remote turns off the tv, tv remote or roku remote if it has tv controls.

0 Kudos
j123jam
Level 7

Re: Remote's power button has to be pressed TWICE for TV to power on/off

I'm having the same problem. I tried contacting support but so far I haven't gotten a useful response.

0 Kudos
Nick2020
Level 7

ROKU should have a TIMER period. Just like TV's have just in case you fall asleep on the couch or decide to watch TV in the bedroom and you set a timer. ROKU has done a disservice to everyone. Maybe the Internet providers own ROKU and others. What a waste of our paid data and energy. It's almost 2020 and ROKU is still in the stone age. Sleep Timer Please.

0 Kudos
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Hi,

Thanks for the note.

Roku devices have the Bandwidth Saver to help avoid going over data limits and automatically halts streaming after inactivity on your streaming player or Roku TV. 

For more information regarding Bandwidth Saver, visit our Support page here: How do I use Bandwidth Saver to avoid going over my internet data cap?

For more information regarding the features available on your TV, please contact your TV's manufacturer directly.

Thanks,
Danny 

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos