Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tambreet
Channel Surfer

Remote recommendation for TCL TV?

Jump to solution

Does anyone have any IR remote recommendations for use with Roku running on my TCL TV with Sonos speakers? Due to the Sonos speakers, I need an IR remote to be able to control the volume, so the one that came with the TV doesn't work.

I picked up a generic IR replacement that worked great... for about a month. Now the buttons are already starting to go bad. Thought I'd replace it with an official Roku Premier remote only to discover it has no volume buttons.

Can anyone recommend a specific generic/knockoff version that has held up for a decent about of time?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Remote recommendation for TCL TV?

Jump to solution

Neither of the voice remotes sold by Roku is what you want, when the enhanced voice remote or regular voice remote is paired to a Roku tv, it doesn't control the volume and power by IR, it controls it be Wifi just like your roku tv oem wifi remote. There are thousands of tcl roku tv IR remotes on ebay, If you see tcl roku remote on ebay with crescent moon key for sleep timer in place of the microphone key your tv remote has its an IR remote for sure. Or if you see TCL roku remote with discrete app keys with 4 keys one on top of the other instead of 2x2, and it has a power button that is a Roku TV IR remote. 

Or you can go to walmart get the one-for-all urc-7935 streamer universal remote it will control the roku tv great and its IR only. here's a photo next to roku tv voice remote:

P1010420 (800x600).jpg

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
DBDukes

Jump to solution

The Roku Voice Remote ($20) or Enhanced Voice Remote ($30) both control Roku TV and have volume controls. I use one of them on my Roku TV.

[EDIT: see post from @Tivoburkee below]

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

tambreet
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Are those IR? The Roku store is confusing and doesn't really mention the technology, but I thought the "enhanced ones" were radio/RF, which won't work with my Sonos setup.

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

The voice/enhanced remotes use IR to control the TV volume and power. 

Those remotes normally come with the Sticks or the Ultra devices. They can control the TV power/volume. But it's the *REMOTE* not the Roku that controls the TV power/volume. They connect to the Roku via WiFi Direct, and to the TV via IR, programmed through the on-screen menu.

There is no guarantee that your device would be supported by Roku remotes. If you feel more comfortable with a universal remote, pick anyone you like. Most support Roku. Just find one that supports your device too. Harmony remotes are pretty darn good, but cost a bit. A cheap remote from Family Dollar or Walmart that you're comfortable with, as long as it also lists your device, would work fine.

[EDIT: See post from @Tivoburkee below]

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

tambreet
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

If the "Enhanced" remotes sold by Roku support IR for the TV controls, then I'll give that a try. The one that came with the new TCL TV definitely does not support the Sonos. From what I can tell it's because that remote is RF (or Bluetooth) and the Sonos needs IR.

If there's no Roku remote that supports both then I guess I'll have to go with a Universal (seems like overkill though).

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

Roku remotes don't use Bluetooth (excepting the Roku 2 XS which was discontinued in 2013). Many Roku TVs use IR remotes.

If you've were able to use the menu to attempt to select a device to control power/volume, and your device didn't show, it won't show if you got a different remote. Universal would then be the way to go.

[EDIT: See post from @Tivoburkee below]

DBDukes

Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

Neither of the voice remotes sold by Roku is what you want, when the enhanced voice remote or regular voice remote is paired to a Roku tv, it doesn't control the volume and power by IR, it controls it be Wifi just like your roku tv oem wifi remote. There are thousands of tcl roku tv IR remotes on ebay, If you see tcl roku remote on ebay with crescent moon key for sleep timer in place of the microphone key your tv remote has its an IR remote for sure. Or if you see TCL roku remote with discrete app keys with 4 keys one on top of the other instead of 2x2, and it has a power button that is a Roku TV IR remote. 

Or you can go to walmart get the one-for-all urc-7935 streamer universal remote it will control the roku tv great and its IR only. here's a photo next to roku tv voice remote:

P1010420 (800x600).jpg

Edmund

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.