Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Remote quit controlling power and volume

My remote quite controlling power and volume. I have tired evrey fix and tip I can find. Still won't reset. Please help.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Remote quit controlling power and volume

@DocPortrey 

Thanks for the inquiry.

We would recommend taking a look at the troubleshooting steps provided by our Support pages here:
How do I set up my Roku® enhanced remote to control my TV?
Why is my Roku® enhanced remote not controlling volume and power on my TV?

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Level 7

@RokuDanny-R  Hi. 

This just happened to my father's Ultra. I had set it up for him and had no trouble getting his tv, a Samsung J5202 paired to the Roku remote when I set the box up 2-3 weeks ago. It worked fine since, but he said the power on/off function stopped working yesterday. 

It's snowing here, and I can't get there in person today and probably not tomorrow. I was able to talk & walk him thru the menus Remote - Set up Remote for TV control. I have a new Stick+, so even though I don't have the same remote, I walked thru the process with him so I was seeing similar screens on my own tv. BTW, my Stick+ is still working correctly. 

I heard the test music thru the phone, as did my dad and he confirmed YES on the screen. The sound would not shut off on the next screen, and this confused us both. I remembered how we used to pair our old Comcast STB with the tv, having to manually use a number of codes.

At that point, we repeated the Set up Remote for TV control process again. We went thru saying Yes to the sound heard, and No numerous times (WAY more times than I did when I set the Ultra up 2-3 weeks ago) before we reached a code today that muted the sound. I told him to click YES. He did.

Power On/Off still will not work, nor will volume & mute buttons on side of Roku remote. 

Everything had been rebooted (tv, Roku, cable modem) prior to my troubleshooting. I'll go over there once the weather breaks to see if I can re-pair the remote with the pair button and try again from scratch, or work my way thru more codes to find one that now works.

This is very disappointing to have this feature fail so soon after purchase. I wanted to post here only because the recentness of OP's issue makes me wonder if an update to either Roku or Samsung SmartHub tvs may have broken the functionality of this feature. 

0 Kudos
Level 7

@RokuDanny-R 

PS - links you provided in your reply are no longer working. Here's what is coming up: 
Article not found. Please check the url and try again.

0 Kudos
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@JINNJ 

Thanks for the posts.

The links are working for me. Where are you currently located? Have you tried using another browser to see if you are able to access those Support pages?

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Level 7

@RokuDanny-R  - oh c'mon now LOL... they're both working again.  That was WEIRD. 

Same browser as before, with same browser session (no restart, no reboot or no cache dump). They were just 404 errors 15 minutes ago that are working now. Windows 10 Pro, also had issues with them last night on Android phone.  

Any thoughts on the unhappy remote & TV breakup issue?  TIA. 

0 Kudos

We have an Insignia TV.  When this software update went through, It did something to the remote.  We didn't really worry about it, as the family member that uses that TV has been away.  But she is back now, is elderly, and I really need the remote to work...whole reason we purchased new Roku for her is because it was an all in one deal and she wouldn't have to use multiple remotes.  But as of now, to she has to use the TV remote to turn the TV on and off and adjust the volume and the Roku Remote to control everything else.  No, that will not work, as it is too confusing for her.

She has a streaming stick, which is not that old.  But it is not a streaming stick+.  We have done all of the suggested troubleshooting and nothing is working.  It worked during original set up and for nearly a year after.  But now it can't link, despite multiple attempts, and it stating it doesn't work with our Insignia TV.    WELL IT DID UNTIL YOUR UPDATE. 

But, as your LONG time customer, who has been with you since no one knew your name, (and am responsible for your equipment being in every one of my family members homes), let me just throw this out there...stop using Microsoft tactics to get people to buy a new equipment!  I just had to replace a house full of Rokus because they won't work with Hulu, only to now find out what I got is not the latest and greatest and now I have remote issues.  Color me seriously annoyed.

I need a work around for this.  Obviously, this continues to be a problem, even a year later.  FIX IT.

0 Kudos
Level 20

Re-pair the remote with new batteries in to the roku, when you go to program the tv try Admiral or Dynex as the tv brand. 

Edmund
0 Kudos