Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ringo

Remote only controls volume and on/off

I bought a Streaming Stick+ 5 weeks ago. Everything worked fine until a few days ago. I was watching the Roku channel and clicked to return to the home page and could not.  The remote now controls only the volume and on/off functions. When I turn it off and on it returns to the Roku channel and I can control nothing else. What next?

10 REPLIES 10
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Remote only controls volume and on/off

Sorry but it sounds like stick+ needs to be factory reset. With it powered up, press the reset button on the stick+ itself. When it come out rebooting it will have to paired to remote again. So when roku is bouncing start pressing the pairing button in the battery compartment of the remote. When roku stops bouncing, release the remote and starting pressing it again right away until you get confirmation its paired. Set the language, wifi network, now you should have link code to enter into email address.

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
etaylor23
Reel Rookie

I'm now having the same problem and the reset has not fixed anything. Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@etaylor23 

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide more information about the issue you are experiencing? What Roku model device are you using? What troubleshooting steps have you done to try to resolve the issue?

With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Kkay

I have the same problem. Power and volume working. Nothing else. Tried to reset it to my tv and it won’t pop up on the tv to pair. Took batteries out and unplugged Roku. Didn’t work either. Model RC-AL2

0 Kudos
Kkay

Got it to pop up on my tv screen to pair finally. Working now. 

0 Kudos
usnacnd

It is funny -we have 2 remotes because I bought a spare after this started to happen. The new one was working better but now sometimes does the same thing. I feel like it isn’t the stick because our phone app works when the remotes will only power on and adjust the volume. 

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

The current point-anywhere remotes are basically two remotes built into one.  The TV control portion works by direct line-of-sight infrared (IR) signals to the TV, while the Roku-control portion works by wifi-direct signals to the Roku.

If the Roku-control portion isn't working this typically means the remote has lost its pairing to your Roku for some reason. 

Video from Roku re how to pair point-anywhere remote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EK3T6eXqPU8

Have you tried pulling the power to the Roku for a few seconds then plugging it back in and letting it start up before reinserting the batteries into the remote? This is supposed to make the Roku receptive to the pairing request from the remote.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
mturne18

When this happens to me, my son has had the remote. I cannot figure out how he does it. But what I do to fix it is: 

i go to settings with the remote I’ve downloaded on my phone

then I go to remotes and devises

then I go to “in use” remote. 

then I literally just let it sit there for a minute and it starts working. Don’t ask me but it works. 

0 Kudos
2kidmama

THANK yoU!!! 

0 Kudos