Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
howellch
Reel Rookie

Remote not working out of the box

Bought 2 Roku Express 4K. One works great the other started working then froze. Tried resetting as advised but would continue to freeze. Exchanged for a new one but that one is frozen out of the box. Tried it on different TV's and no change. Had to bring working Roku into bedroom to watch TV but not a long term solution. Do I have to exchange again?

0 Kudos
14 REPLIES 14
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Remote not working out of the box

Hi @howellch,

Welcome to the Roku Community and thanks for reaching out regarding the issue you are experiencing.

In addition to the information you just provided, I'd like to ask for additional details about the issue you're running into. Is there a light showing on your device? Have you tried checking the HDMI connection if it's on the right input port on your TV? Can you please provide the serial number of your Roku device from Settings>System>About

With more information, we will be able to assist you further.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
howellch
Reel Rookie

There is a light on device. Tried on 3 TV's in different ports.

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @howellch,

Thanks for following up.

Can you please provide the serial number/device ID of your Roku device? I'll be able to pass it along to our Support team who can assist you further.

Please keep us posted.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
howellch
Reel Rookie

SN: S07R425G6TGG

0 Kudos
Hopeinal
Binge Watcher

I’m experiencing this same problem. After many fruitless weeks of trying to get my streaming stick to work again on the same TV just a different room, I gave up and bought a new remote because the one I had didn’t have a pairing button and I was stuck on the pairing screen. Roku technical support advised getting a new remote. Please note that the remote worked fine, same remote same device, before I moved the TV and stick. So I ordered a Roku remote, not universal but Roku, from Amazon that said it worked with my streaming stick. It doesn’t. 

I noticed when putting the batteries into the new remote that negative and positive were both on the same ends—-two positives at one and two negatives at the other end. I’ve never seen that with an electronic device and not in either Roku remote I’ve owned. It’s always positive at one end and negative at the other. Anyhow the blasted thing brand new out if the box doesn’t work at all. Inside the remote it’s marked UK CA. What does this mean? I’m in the US. ???

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @howellch,

Thanks for keeping in touch and providing the additional information.

We'll have a member of our Support team reach out to you via email, they will continue assisting you from there and provide a resolution to this issue.

If you need any additional help and we’ll follow up to continue assisting you.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

They sell a lot aftermarket remotes on Amazon, it probably isn't a Roku made remote at all. The only remote that will work with Roku stick is a wifi voice remote, it has to have pairing button in the battery compartment. 

This:

Amazon.com: Roku Voice Remote (Official) for Roku Players, Roku TVs and Roku Audio : Electronics

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Hopeinal
Binge Watcher

Thanks but it’s not after market and actually as it turns out the remote isn’t the problem. I tried it on my living room TV with Roku Express and it worked fine. So at this point it seems that I need to make sure the TV and the remote are on the same Wi-Fi address or whatever and I have no idea how to do that. It isn’t recognizing the streaming stick at all. 

0 Kudos
EmilyJR15

Hello, I apologize if I'm not doing this right. This is my first time here. It seems like I'm not supposed to start a new post if there's a similar topic out there. So I'm thinking I reply to the last message? I apologize if I'm doing in wrong. I'm in process of setting up a "Roku Streaming Stick 4k" I clicked my tv remote to turn it on and it was on the "Let's get started screen" with English selected, I put the batteries in the remote and in kind of fumbling it both moved to the next screen and is now in Spanish. I noticed the batteries are in the same direction as someone else said was there's was too. I can't move through settings, so I can't get to the settings. I'm not sure what the product ID is, I think from the box below the QR code SN: S08Y422T1K30 (not sure if that second is an 0 or an O (zero or letter O).  I bought on Amazon, but new and the stick and the remote are from the same box.  At times the top right corner would flash with an icon like a remote, sometimes w/ 100 or 100 with a line through it. But basically I can't get through any of the steps of the set up with the remote. It is the voice remote with the paring button. sincerely, Emily

0 Kudos