Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gabby1234

Remote not pairing

I started the process of pairing my remote and everything was going well until it wasn't. TV said the remote was pairing. But, it took so long pairing that the Roku went idle and just went to the blank screen where it says Roku and moves around. Couldn't get it off that screen because the remote still wasn't working. Have tried numerous times unplugging Roku, replacing batteries etc. When doing this, the pairing light is always on, not flashing. Also, since the remote never started working, I was never able to set up the network because the remote wasn't working. Not sure if this has anything to do with it. Also, downloaded the app to be able to change channels but can't use that because it hasn't been connected to a network yet.

0 Kudos
Noemkat
Reel Rookie

Re: pairing light always blinking

My remote works the tv (on/off, volume) but will not work my streaming stick. I have followed the trouble shooting directions but still nothing. I’m frustrated!!  

0 Kudos
Pogmothon
Reel Rookie

Re: Remote not pairing - always blinking

I am unable to pair my remote. All of the sudden the remotes for both roku devices just stopped working after years of no issues. Tried batteries, tried turning off the power to both the roku and remote, tried logging on through my phone to see if I can force it to pair, and nothing. I even tried to reset the whole roku device and it worked on one, but not the other. Any idea why this could be happening? I refuse to believe I just need to purchase a new remote and that will magically fix all the issues. Things don't just break at the same time like that. 

Any help please?

Model 4230X-Roku 3

Serial number can be provided 

Software version 9.3.0 . Build 4194-04

0 Kudos
Noemkat
Reel Rookie

Just saw system did an update yesterday. 😡

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Remote not pairing

@Gabby1234 @Noemkat 

Thanks for the posts.

We would recommend taking a look at the troubleshooting steps provided by our Support pages here: 
How do I set up my Roku® enhanced "point-anywhere" remote?
How do I resolve problems with my Roku® enhanced "point-anywhere" remote?

If you are still unable to resolve the issue you are experiencing, please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number/device ID on the Roku device along with a summary of the issue you are experiencing. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Pogmothon 

Thanks for the post.

Please be aware that the Roku 3 is an older device that is no longer under warranty. It's possible that the remote may simply be on its way out.

If you need a replacement more for your Roku device, you can purchase a remote from our Products page here: https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/player

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
dr_geezer
Reel Rookie

I'm having this same problem as well.  The remote just stopped working and won't re-pair, but it will control the TV volume.  I replaced the batteries and pressed the pairing button, but the pairing light just flashes and it doesn't sync.  I've navigated the Roku menu (using the Roku remote app on my Smartphone) to re-pair the remote, and no luck.  I've used the Roku menu to check the Internet connection, and it is says it is connected with excellent signal strength.

I tried swearing at the Roku remote, but since it isn't voice activated, it just sat there.

Seriously, any ideas on what I can do?

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@dr_geezer 

Thanks for the post.

We would recommend taking a look at the troubleshooting steps provided by our Support pages here: 
How do I set up my Roku® enhanced "point-anywhere" remote?
How do I resolve problems with my Roku® enhanced "point-anywhere" remote?

If you are still unable to resolve the issue you are experiencing, please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number/device ID on the Roku device along with a summary of the issue you are experiencing. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Pogmothon
Reel Rookie

Hi Danny, I don't buy that excuse because the odds of both of my Roku 3 remotes stopping working, at literally the exact same time and day, are incredibly low. No, some update to the roku occurred that is likely causing the issue. 

maw4156
Binge Watcher

I'm also experiencing a problem with my remote for the Streaming Stick+.  It worked great the day before the 9.4 update on 10/15 and then stopped working after.  I've tried to re-pair the remote but it won't.  I've used the phone app with no issue but I really want to use the real remote.  It's pretty obvious from discussions/complaints here and at Reddit that something got broken with the 9.4 update.  Hopefully something is being done to fix it!!

0 Kudos