Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Retiredtch
Reel Rookie

Remote not controlling volume

My remote for my express 4K+ has started to act up. It controls the volume only some of the time. I have to continually go into settings to get it to work. It will work for a while and then it's like it lost the setting. I have tried new batteries, resetting the remote, resetting the player, unpaired and pairing it again, even a remote from another express 4K+. Nothing works. Is there a way to know if it is my player or remote? Very frustrating. Only happens on 1 of the 4 players we own. The software is 11.0.0 build 4184-CR

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Remote not controlling volume

@Retiredtch wrote:

... Only happens on 1 of the 4 players we own. The software is 11.0.0 build 4184-CR

This could be a key point in determining the issue. It could be one of several things, including the remote, the Roku device, the TV, or even the HDMI cord. There are probably other potential causes, but these come to mind first.

Since you have multiple Roku devices, and multiple Voice Remotes (the ones that come with the Express 4K+), you can swap stuff around.

Test 1

Take "good" remote and pair it to "bad" Roku. Take "bad" remote and pair it to "good" Roku.

Does the issue exist, and if so, where?

If it follows the remote, it's the remote. No further troubleshooting need be done.

If it stays with the Roku, then it's not the remote, but we need to do more to see if it's the Roku.

Test 2

Swap Roku devices. Unplug from the TV and power (leave those connected for this test) and swap the Roku devices, taking the paired remotes along (we've already ruled out the remote, if you're still testing).

Does the issue follow the Roku? Or does it stay with the TV?

If it follows the Roku, it's the Roku. No further testing need be done.

If it stays with the TV, it's probably the TV or the HDMI cable.

I'm not going further right now, in case we get results not anticipated. Do those tests and see where we are.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

Retiredtch
Reel Rookie

I tried switching remotes and problem still existed. So I switched out the player and it worked for awhile. I was afraid to reply that the problem was solved for fear it would jinx me. Today I switched the home cable and that didn't help. So my question is... is there a way I can change the setting on my roku remote so we would have to use the remote to our Samsung TV for the volume? My husband is not tech savvy at all and is afraid to try any type of fix. I would rather have to use 2 remotes instead of listening to him yell for me each time the volume doesn't work.

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@Retiredtch wrote:

I tried switching remotes and problem still existed. ...

You didn't state where the problem existed after the test -- there were two possibilities -- so I'm going to assume the problem stayed with the Roku.

@Retiredtch wrote:

... So I switched out the player and it worked for awhile....

I'm not sure what this means. Both the "bad" Roku worked well in the "good" location, and the "good" Roku worked well in the "bad" location? So, you took two Roku devices then swapped them? And both worked?

@Retiredtch wrote:

... Today I switched the home cable and that didn't help....

We're missing something here. The report after the swap was that everything was working. So why swap cables if everything is working? What happened?

In troubleshooting, remember that we only know what you tell us, and if we assume anything, we could assume wrong, and head down the wrong path. So, I'm unclear on what your situation is.

@Retiredtch wrote:

... is there a way I can change the setting on my roku remote so we would have to use the remote to our Samsung TV for the volume? ...

Nothing is stopping the Samsung remote from working now. You could always use the TV remote any time you want. It only controls the TV, not the Roku.

The Roku doesn't have volume. Or power. The buttons on the remote don't turn up/down Roku volume, because there is no Roku volume. The buttons actually control the TV up/down volume. As does the TV remote. Same with power; that's TV power, not Roku power.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos