Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Laa
Level 8

Remote no longer works 🤷🏻‍♀️

Not sure why my remote no longer works. Tried changing batteries, checked all connections, checked internet, and cannot figure it out. It worked a few days ago. Any thoughts? Do I need to buy a new remote?

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7\
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Remote no longer works 🤷🏻‍♀️

Need to know your Roku model number (not just its name), which I realize is difficult to get without a remote. You can download an app for your phone to control the Roku (iOS or Android).

Roku remotes come in two flavors: WiFi Direct or IR. With an IR remote, there's no pairing, but the remote must have direct line of sight. So if something has blocked the front of the Roku, the remote can't see it and won't work.

A WiFi remote doesn't require line of sight, but does have to be paired to the Roku. If you have a voice button or a headphone jack on the remote, then it's a WiFi model. It doesn't use your network to function, so it doesn't matter about your Internet or router. WiFi remotes do go through batteries faster than an IR remote, so make sure you've tried a new set.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
davidjazz
Level 12

If you have changed the batteries, open it up and be sure you have the positive and negative poles in the right direction. I made this mistake once.

0 Kudos
cjyorks
Level 8

I have same problem. Remote is not that old. new batteries don't solve the problem it is a wifi remote. I have one in my bedroom also that I have to replace batteries daily. don't want to use my phone all the time because you can't control the volume

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@cjyorks 

Thanks for letting us know about the issue that you are experiencing.

Please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number of the Roku device from Settings>System>About. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Laa
Level 8

I don't know how to private message you

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@Laa wrote:

I don't know how to private message you

Click their name or icon, then select profile. On their profile page, there's a button to send a private message. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
LaxCoach37
Level 7

I am having a similar strange problem. Moved to a new house about 4 miles away and have 3 Rokus all working fine. One is an Ultra the others are 2's. All the remotes are paired and have new batteries, but even standing in front of the receiver and hitting the button a dozen times it might move the selection in the menus once or twice. The button for TV volume and On/Off works fine. I use the App on an iPhone and all is fine. My guess is the WiFi in the new house is so powerful (Spectrum Wave Gig) that it interferes with the frequency the remote uses?? I can't be the only one with this issue. I have 3 useless Rokus now. H-E-L-P!

0 Kudos