Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
metzelic
Reel Rookie

Remote mostly works, except to power off (NEW device!)

Jump to solution

I just got a brand new Roku Streaming Stick + (3810, 3811 series)  and was excited to see the new remote has power and volume control so I don't need my main TV remote anymore. I've successfully gone through set up and pairing, and now all the navigation buttons work, the volume and mute buttons work, and the power button works to turn ON my TV. But the power button does NOT work to turn everything OFF. Every troubleshooting article I've seen just addresses how to set up the remote if nothing works, but I've tried that several times and nothing has changed. Anyone else experienced this or know how to fix it? Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Remote mostly works, except to power off (NEW device!)

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

If you are trying to control the volume using the Roku remote, we would recommend taking a look a the steps provided by our Community post here: https://community.roku.com/t5/Remotes-Accessories/UPDATE-Did-your-Roku-remote-lose-volume-and-TV-con....

To avoid further confusion of multiple threads, we will be closing this thread out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@metzelic wrote:

I just got a brand new Roku Streaming Stick + (3810, 3811 series)  and was excited to see the new remote has power and volume control so I don't need my main TV remote anymore. I've successfully gone through set up and pairing, and now all the navigation buttons work, the volume and mute buttons work, and the power button works to turn ON my TV. But the power button does NOT work to turn everything OFF. Every troubleshooting article I've seen just addresses how to set up the remote if nothing works, but I've tried that several times and nothing has changed. Anyone else experienced this or know how to fix it? Thanks!

I have an old Philips CRT TV that has this issue - a trick that works for me is to push volume up or down, then immediately push the power button to turn it off (or on sometimes).

This may or may not work for you, but its worth trying before going into a deeper code finding remote programming dive.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Philips products IR codes suffer from a toggle bit, you can't press the same command twice. That's why pressing volume between power commands makes it work. There might be a working code that works with toggle bit problem, the one you stopped on during programming isn't the one retry and skip the first positive result, by clicking no and unmute it so you can hear the music again. Now try later codes 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
metzelic
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks for this suggestion! My TV's a Sharp rather than a Phillips, and it's not that old (at least... it's 4 years old, which I don't think is that old?) but I tried this anyway. No luck, sadly.

I've also tried, in case anyone is curious, using the voice button to verbally tell it to "power TV off." That also did not work.

0 Kudos
ChipHale
Reel Rookie

Power button works, volume doesn't

Jump to solution

A few days ago, the volume buttons stopped working on my remote. The power button still controls the TV power.  The TV remote can change the volume, and the blu-ray player remote still controls the volume, so the TV still works. First thing I did was repaired the remote. I heard the music, it said it was paired, but the volume  buttons still didn't work.   I have the Roku Ultra, and when I press the volume buttons, the led light on the front blinks.  And today a replacement remote came in the mail, and it is having the same issues.  Paired it, both control the TV power, but neither control the volume.

Any help?

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

If you are trying to control the volume using the Roku remote, we would recommend taking a look a the steps provided by our Community post here: https://community.roku.com/t5/Remotes-Accessories/UPDATE-Did-your-Roku-remote-lose-volume-and-TV-con....

To avoid further confusion of multiple threads, we will be closing this thread out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos