Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Heathen

[OS 10.5] Why am i unable to find LG when searching for my TV brand during remote setup?

Jump to solution

I’m trying to program my Voice Remote for its TV controls. But after I pass the “Did you hear music playing….” and to search my TV brand, I type LG and it tells me there are no search results with that brand. Like it even says “for example: Samsung, LG, Sony…blah blah blah.” 
So how are you going to tell me there are no results for LG when it’s being used as an example!?!? 
I’ve restarted the roku, I’ve unplugged it for 10 seconds and plugged it back in, my network connection is fine, and I haven’t thrown the remote….yet. 
so what’s up Roku? Why you messing with me? I was promised convenience of one remote buying this model. Don’t break this promise! D4D88AD2-EFD3-40DF-B1EA-6B156BBC268C.jpeg

639C57FD-CED7-4EEB-BEF6-F0D2FA1E5BFF.jpeg

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Why am i unable to find LG when searching for my TV brand during remote setup?

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

We appreciate your patience regarding this issue. We believe this issue will be resolved in a future update.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
118 REPLIES 118
MrPeabody
Reel Rookie

Remote model RC-EL1 - will not accept any TV manufacturer

Jump to solution

I have a new RC-EL1 remote. It will pair with the Roku 3800x stick and control the Roku. It will not accept any TV manufacturer entered during initial pairing setup or going back into TV setup. Rebooting the Roku, updating, software, forgetting the remote and re-pairing all fail as soon as any letter is entered as a TV brand. Sony, LG, Samsung, etc. the 1st letter fails. The pair process plays music and accepts the Yes I can hear music test. 

Is this simply a defective remote or a Roku server issue?

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Remote model RC-EL1 - will not accept any TV manufacturer

Jump to solution

@MrPeabody

Thanks for the post.

What brand TV are you using?

With more specific information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
MrPeabody
Reel Rookie

Re: Remote model RC-EL1 - will not accept any TV manufacturer

Jump to solution

It is an LG tv. For some reason no TV brand is accepted. As soon as any letter is entered an "unrecognized" message is displayed. Is this a CEC issue? I expected it to minimally accept a brand name whether it was successful or not.

0 Kudos
Morrrrrggggg
Reel Rookie

Roku remote set up tv brand not listed

Jump to solution

Cannot program the remote to control power and volume of my TV. My TV brand is not listed,  I have tried all the popular brands,  snow,  Samsung,  LG, Toshiba,  Hitachi etcetera, I have nothing blocking between my remote and TV. 

Is there any way to cycle though codes? 

Any way I can program my Roku remote control to control my TV power and volume?  

my brand of TV is Cello. Never heard of it before this. 

0 Kudos
HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

Re: Roku remote set up tv brand not listed

Jump to solution

Try using Ferguson TV if that is an option

0 Kudos
Morrrrrggggg
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

That’s not an option either ☹️

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Morrrrrggggg

Thanks for the posts.

Perhaps @Tivoburkee may have some insight on this issue as he's our current resident remote Expert.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Sorry but struck out. There are many UK tv brands that don't correspond to North American tv codes. If you have a roku that accepts IR commands then I would go with learning universal remote. One that has roku code, and then use the learning feature to teach the tv commands to the universal remote. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

Re: Why am i unable to find LG when searching for my TV brand during remote setup?

Jump to solution

Try a upper case L.  It might be using the lower case as a number 1

0 Kudos