Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
David12508
Reel Rookie

How to stop my Roku remote from continuously draining batteries

Jump to solution

I have to change the batteries every day yes the batteries are brand new but it keeps draining them. Contacting support is a joke. I won’t be buying any more Roku products again. 

3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
David12508
Reel Rookie

Re: How to stop my Roku remote from continuously draining batteries

Jump to solution

I finally got ahold of Roku they said it was tcl issue I called tcl they said they have this problem a lot I guess. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
carrikerhh
Channel Surfer

Re:How to stop my Roku remote from continuously draining batteries

Jump to solution

I had/have the same issue with 3 Roku sticks using the RC-EL1 remotes. The batteries only die when the stick is powered from the TV, if you plug the stick into the outlet adapter, the remote batteries do not die. I did significant troubleshooting for Roku on the matter and they have not yet provided a solution/resolution.

So check your remotes for the RC-EL1 model # and try plugging them into the power adapter. Other model remotes after binding to the stick, do not exhibit this short battery life problem. The remote is the problem.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts regarding remote battery drain.

When posting regarding the issue you are experiencing, it's important that you provide the specific Roku model device you are using.

• If you are experiencing remote battery drain with a Streaming Stick (3800), please be aware that we have released an update to your remote that we believe will address the issue you are experiencing.
  • Please perform a system restart from your Roku device. This will update your remote to the latest version. This can be done by navigating to Settings > System > System Restart. After you perform the system update, continue to use your device as normal and monitor the remote battery percentage listed under Settings > Remotes > About.
  • Additionally, if you had moved your Roku device power source to a wall outlet to help address this problem, you may now reconnect the USB cable to your TV's USB port if preferred.
    Please let us know if you notice any improvements in battery life or if the issue is persisting.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

0 Kudos
141 REPLIES 141
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Remote keeps draining batteries.

Jump to solution

@David12508

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide more information about the issue you are experiencing? What Roku model device are you using?

With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Is there a solution to this.  My original Roku 3 remote drains batteries once a day. I just received my second replacement remote and it only works 12 inches from the unit. Very unfair.  Why won't Roku address this issue.  Am I missing something or doing something wrong. Has anyone found a solution. 

Thanks 

Birkato
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I too am having problems with remote batteries draining quickly. In my case, they last about 3 weeks.  My serial is YF006J113441.  Can anything be done about this?

David12508
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I finally got ahold of Roku they said it was tcl issue I called tcl they said they have this problem a lot I guess. 

0 Kudos
Birkato
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

What is a "tcl issue'.  From a Google search, it appears that a company called TCL may manufacture the remotes for Roku.  Has anyone had luck with getting Roku to replace their remote?  I haven't changed my TV remote batteries for probably 6 years.  May be cheaper for me to just buy a new Roku remote than keep changing batteries!  Thanks!

RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Birkato,

Thanks for the post.
I have already escalated this issue to our Support team. They will follow up and assist you.

Thanks,

Mary

BobSilver51
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have a Roku Ultra, purchased within the past four months, and the remote is draining batteries at a record pace. Most recent example: I replaced the batteries yesterday and they are dead today.

I also have a Roku stick on another TV and haven't experienced any problems with the batteries in that remote.

Removing the batteries b/w remote use or using my phone app as the remote aren't acceptable answers for this issue. This seems like a chronic problem with the Roku remote - what's the fix? My device should still be under warranty.

I really like the Roku platform but may have to ditch it, eat the cost on the new Ultra and move over to the Amazon Fire Stick or another device.

RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @BobSilver51,

Thanks for letting us know about the battery drain issue that you are experiencing. 

Please send me a private message with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number of the Roku device from Settings>System>About along with a summary of the issue you are experiencing. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,

Mary

0 Kudos
BobSilver51
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hi Mary

Not sure how to send a PM. LMK how and I'll connect with the info. Thx!

Bob

0 Kudos