Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mathias69

Remote issue with Multiple tvs

So my situation is I have 2 tvs located in same room both are roku tvs one is tcl brand and the other is ohn brand. The remote is unfortunately controlling both due to the ir spread. Is there a programmable remote I can get that would allow me to control one tv at a time?

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Remote issue with Multiple tvs

You can purchase separately two wifi voice remotes from Walmart or best buy, then abandon the IR remotes for good. A wifi remote will only pair with one Roku at a time. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
makaiguy

You should be able to get by with. one new Voice Remote.  Pair it to one of your Roku tvs.  Then block that TV's infrared receiver with opaque tape.

Continue to use the original infrared remote to control the other tv.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
Tivoburkee

@makaiguy 

You ever try putting tape over Roku IR sensor? I gave up after 5 pieces of electrical tape, the IR goes through it no matter what. 

Edmund

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
makaiguy

@Tivoburkee -

I had not actually tried the opaque tape trick, so I did some experimenting.  This was with my TCL Roku TV and its original RF remote.

First I confirmed that I could block the IR signal emitted from the end of the remote either with my hand or a single layer of electrician's tape.  When so blocked, neither the TV nor my phone's camera responded to button presses on the remote.  If the tape and/or hand can block the IR at the remote where the signal is strongest, seems like there should be no trouble blocking at the TV.

When I then went to block the IR sensor on the TV,  I could find no place on the bezel surrounding the screen  that I could block with my hand and keep the IR from acting on the set.   

A little internet research found claims that TV IR receptors are usually part of the same assembly that contains the power indicator light.  On this set the indicator light is located in a translucent plastic block that extends from the bottom of the set. Only the top side of this assembly is blocked by the TV itself, the other 5 sides are exposed.  

Putting tape on just the front side of this assembly did not prevent the IR from being received, presumably because the IR was being bounced around and into other sides of the assembly.  Only when all 5 exposed sides were completely covered with tape was the sensor rendered ineffective.   Most of the assembly was blocked by a single layer of electrician's tape, but there was a slight overlap on part of the assembly.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos