Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sara1194
Level 7

Remote has no power on/off how do I turn off my tv?

I have a tv that came with only a roku remote. The remote has no power on or off? The only way we can turn it off and on is using the app on my phone. Help please! 

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8\
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Remote has no power on/off how do I turn off my tv?

@Sara1194 

Thanks for the inquiry.

Is the TV a Roku TV? If so, what brand is the TV? On the remote, does it have that brand on the remote?

With more information we will me be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
lfkestner
Level 8

I have a ROKU TV.  Not only can't turn TV on and off but the illumination is muted (dark) and there is no audio.  Followed your instructions to see remote connection but all that happens is "searching" endlessly.  I've tried the pairing with the green light and that works fine...it is just the other remote that turns off and on and mutes the sound that is inoperable.  Don't know what the darkened screen has to do with it.  Please advise me.  [personal information removed]

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@lfkestner 

Thanks for the inquiry.

What remote are you using to control your Roku TV? Are you using the remote that came with your Roku TV?

Please contact your TV's manufacturer directly to report this issue and request additional support. Each Roku TV manufacturer provides direct support and warranty services for their products running the Roku OS. 

If you need a replacement remote for a Roku TV, you would need to contact your TV manufacturer. For a list of Roku TV manufacturers information, visit our Community post here: Contacting Support for Your Roku TV

You can also purchase a remote that is compatible with your Roku TV here: https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/roku-tv

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
carp480
Level 7

Check in the channel menu I have an older roku unit and it has the option there. The tv must be set up to be controlled via HDMI ARC though. Most TVs require it to be in a ARC enabled  HDMI slot for ARC to function correctly. You should also verify ARC is enabled in TVs set up menu.

0 Kudos
lfkestner
Level 8

Thank you, Danny.  I did purchase a replacement remote and it will not turn off the Roku TV.  So, I have two ROKU remotes that have red buttons but do not turn off the TV.  TV is still on.  You didn't reference the audio problem at all so I'm guessing your reply is generic.  The "gaming" remote with earbuds is the only way to receive audio.  Otherwise, no audio can be heard.  Why?  I've checked the Roku 3 device, unplugged power and USB from the unit, waited to count of 10, plugged it all in and there's no change at all.  Am I the only one to have this issue since January when it appears that a software update caused what looks like a similar problem?  Is there anything you can now suggest that will solve these problems?  It is a ROKU TV, power remotes are ROKU products.  I haven't done anything unusual that I know of.  This system has worked very well without interruption for years. By not mentioning the audio problem I wonder if you mean to say I should just live with it?  Shouldn't audio be heard in the room?  If I have the remote with earbuds, I'm the only one who can hear it.  Surely this isn't a "warranty" issue.  Please reply again and be specific about how to fix these problems. I really appreciate this opportunity to try and obtain help...seems my phone and email contact info was removed, so this is the only way I can hear back from you.  Please, may I have a personal reply?  Thank you.  Linda Kestner

0 Kudos
lfkestner
Level 8

Thank you for your reply.  Reference HDMI - that option no longer appears since I can't turn on/off the TV.  Previously, the red button remote turned on the TV and allowed me to initiate a connection to HDMI with the "gaming" remote.  This system worked perfectly until it didn't when red button remote will no longer turn off TV.  I just don't understand why a system of ROKU products no longer works optimally.  Do you think I need to upgrade that power unit with a "3" on top?  Was there some kind of mandatory upgrade opportunity that I missed?  Wish I could think that a new red button remote would make a difference but it doesn't do a thing!  If you have any suggestions about how to get this system to work as it has previously, I'd hope you would tell me specifically.  Thank you for anything you might tell me.

Linda Kestner

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

@lfkestner 

You mention Roku tv in two of your posts, and also the Roku 3. A Roku tv is real tv with a screen, and has a built-in roku streamer, so is that what you have? Or do you have Roku 3 connected to separate Tv? True IR Roku tv remotes do not work on stand alone roku's like the Roku 3. They use a completely diiferent IR code set. A Roku tv & roku 3 can be paired to same wifi remote, of course not at the same time. 

The tv controls in the Roku app are strictly for Roku tv's, it will never control a non-roku tv volume and power. Sorry.

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
lfkestner
Level 8

Thank you for your reply - wonderful to hear back.  Good news!  All I did was pull the power plug from the wall.  Ten minutes later, I plugged it in again.  Red button Roku TV remote turned on the ROKU! Audio works!  Red button Roku TV remote turned it off.  I've been unplugging/plugging the ROKU box with 3 on top to no avail.  Unplugging Roku TV from the wall is what it took to be fully functional.

Happy days!

Linda Kestner

0 Kudos