Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hercthx
Level 7

Remote for seniors / visually impaired?

Any recommendations on a remote with larger buttons or finer controls with voice options for seniors or visually impaired? Our +90 GMA isn't totally blind (just mostly) but the remote buttons are too difficult for her to navigate properly. 

2 REPLIES 2\
jeffrok
Level 13

Re: Remote for seniors / visually impaired?

Which device are you referring to?

Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
skyanchor
Level 7

Re: Remote for seniors / visually impaired?

Here's what a friend did for his elderly mother. A few of things the white paint like this accomplishes, I presume:
1) It enhances the contrast of where the buttons are physically located on the remote, to make them stand out much better.
2) It also makes it easier to identify which end of the remote a person is holding when they pick it up in a dimly lit room.
3) It emphasizes the important, most commonly used buttons on the remote for the person using the remote.

This suggests how Roku may want to think about accommodating a large number of their elderly and vision impaired users in the future? There are sins of omission and neglect: when you know you can do something that costs little to improve people's lives, but fail to act, what does that say about your values as a person or company? I know there are 3rd party big button universal remotes out there, but many may be unaware that such options are available. Furthermore these remotes may not fully support the ROKU, be more complex to navigate, be cumbersome to hold for some due to their overly large size, and require difficult configuration to initially set up. 
No photo description available.

0 Kudos