Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bobogao
Reel Rookie

Remote drains battery so fast

Jump to solution

My Roku Voice Remote came with the Roku soundbar, it drains batteries every week or two. I have it for almost two months and replaced batteries 5 times already! It's very very frustrating. Remote model is RC-AL7. Any helps will be appropriated!

makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Remote drains battery so fast

Jump to solution

@bobogao 

It has been suggested that this can be caused by your wifi router using a channel that is crowded with a bunch of nearby routers using the same channel. Your remote has to work too hard constantly sorting through the information packets from all those other devices and it uses up the batteries much too quickly.

If you have access to your router's setup, try configuring it to use a different WiFi channel to see if this helps the situation. In the 2.4 GHz band, channels 1, 6, and 11 do not overlap each other and so give you the best chance at reducing congestion, so try each in succession, although depending on what channels your neighbors are using other channels may work best. Also, reducing router bandwidth from 40 to 20 kHz may also reduce interference.

Reducing congestion and interference can also improve your data transmission rates.

Several people have reported this solved their problem  Most never report back so frankly, I don't know how good this suggestion is.  Please report back to let us know how you make out.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
kelda101

Re-start did not fix my remote battery issue.

Jump to solution

I have the battery drainage issue.  I have re-started the system but this does not cure the problem.

My remote S.N.: 215054702965.  I understand Roku is sending new remotes.  I would like one please.  Thank you.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Re-start did not fix my remote battery issue.

Jump to solution

@kelda101

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide more information about the issue you are experiencing? What Roku model device are you using? Are you using private listening feature with your remote? What are the steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing?

With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
EasyE33304
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku remote draining batteries

Jump to solution

Hi Danny,

I recently started using the headphone feature on the Roku remote and LOVE it, however it's draining the batteries every couple of weeks or less. Is there any tips or tricks i can use so i'm not going through so many batteries? Before i was using the headphone feature, the batteries were lasting for months so i think for some reason using the headphone feature is draining them. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@EasyE33304

Thanks for the inquiry.

Please be aware that using the private listening feature with your remote will use more power than without using that feature. To avoid any unwanted remote battery drain, we would recommend to make sure you unplug the remote when done streaming and not in use.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Kwatson210
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hello,

I am having the same issue. My batteries are needing to be replaced weekly. The power is plugged into a outlet and the software is up to date.

Please help. @RokuDanny-R 

sku: 3226000284

model: RC-AL2
3800X

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Hey @Kwatson210

Thank for the post.

Please reply here with the serial number of the Roku device associated with the affected remote. It consists of 12 alphanumeric characters and can be found in Settings > System > About

Once we have the needed information, we'll be able to forward it to our support team for assistance.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Kwatson210
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hello,

Thanks for the reply. The serial number is YF00GA919623.

@RokuKariza-D 

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Kwatson210

Appreciate the prompt response.

I have passed along your information and concern to our Support team. They will follow up and further assist you through email.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos