Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuMary-F
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Remote dies every week

Hi @juager,

Thanks for the update.

I have passed along your information to our Support team. They will follow up and assist you.
Thanks,

Mary

0 Kudos
Jim63114
Level 7

I just started having the same problem.  I tried taking out the New batteries and also re-linking the remote but still no luck.  However the menu works on live TV but not within Roku.  Strange.  I tried a system restart too and it won't work.  We need real answers too.  I just got my Roku voice remote in January.

0 Kudos
carrikerhh
Level 8

I had/have the same issue with 3 Roku sticks using the RC-EL1 remotes. The batteries only die when the stick is powered from the TV, if you plug the stick into the outlet adapter, the remote batteries do not die. I did significant troubleshooting for Roku on the matter and they have not yet provided a solution/resolution.

So check your remotes for the RC-EL1 model # and try plugging them into the power adapter. Other model remotes after binding to the stick, do not exhibit this short battery life problem. The remote is the problem.

0 Kudos
TonyG29
Level 7

I performed the system update and system restart. I installed new batteries. One week later the battery level is 60%. I have a Roku Premiere +, model 4630X, 7KA6A6325586

I cannot find an area to send a PM.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@TonyG29

Thanks for the post.

For future reference, you can find more information about how to send a private message (PM) on our Community post here: Welcome to the Community

I have passed along your information to our Support team. They will follow up and assist you.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
carrikerhh
Level 8

I got your reply and here is additional information. The Roku Stick is a 3810X, the remote is an RC-EL1. The software update shows the latest as Dec. 2020 and any further attempts to update say this is the latest. Also, the system settings do not show battery level for the remote. So I have no confidence any problem has been solved.

And again as I stated in my first post, this issue does not occur when I bind an older remote. I provided a significant amount of testing data to Roku support in 2/22/21 that showed this information.

Teamrev
Level 9

Interesting research. I also have the 3810X and the sticks have always been powered by the outlet adapter and the batteries in the remotes still die withing 1-2 weeks even without having the stick powered up. (on a power strip that is turned off when not in use) And the use of the stick is minimal, maybe 1 day a week for a couple hours, and no headphone listening. This is after support asked me to do the update.

0 Kudos
carrikerhh
Level 8

In my last post I stated that the remote battery level was unavailable. My error. I had bound 3 other older remotes and I looked at one of the non-active remotes. So for the RC-EL1 I do get a battery level. Interesting note, while doing this, disconnected the stick, and the battery level fell 7% overnight. Plugged the stick back into the wall and will check again tomorrow.

0 Kudos
greyman318
Level 9

I hereby declare that the solution of the extension HDMI wire DOES NOT WORK!!!! Roku sent me a wire and my remote continues to become unpaired.

What is the most frustrating part is that it always happens at the most inconvenient times. I need to hear someone talking and I cannot  pause or mute because the remote I was using a moment ago suddenly doesn't work. I then have to scramble for my phone, open the app, connect to the specific ROKU Device and stop it, do what I had to do, come back and re-pair the remote, rewind to where I was when everything happened to continue watching.

C'Mon ROKU its time to just admit these things are defective and come up with a real solution. I already have a Fire Stick waiting in my shopping cart.

0 Kudos
greyman318
Level 9

P.S. The Remote is now dead.....IT WILL NOT RE-PAIR ANYMORE!!!!!

0 Kudos