Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote controls both TVs with 2 devices in same room

Jump to solution

I have 2 Roku Express devices connected to 2 different Tv's in the same room. Each remote control controls the other Tv. How can I stop this from happening? 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Remote controls

Jump to solution

If any of them are 3700 express, nothing less then replacing both would work. If they're newer models of express like the 3900 or 3930 then you would have to replace both IR remotes with wifi voice roku remotes, which only control one roku at a time since paired to it. If its the actual tv volume and power you're having trouble with no roku will differentiate between the tv commands.

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

If any of them are 3700 express, nothing less then replacing both would work. If they're newer models of express like the 3900 or 3930 then you would have to replace both IR remotes with wifi voice roku remotes, which only control one roku at a time since paired to it. If its the actual tv volume and power you're having trouble with no roku will differentiate between the tv commands.

Edmund

0 Kudos
a6jock
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have two new ROKU Ultra devices & wifi remotes controlling two Samsung TVs in different rooms. 

I think that I have paired each remote to its Roku TV,  but it seems that the remotes are still turning the other Samsung TV power on and off in the different rooms. 

I am trying to trouble shoot this,  Samsung TV remotes almost all use the same frequency but I am looking if I can set a new frequency since I assume the Roku is sending a universal signal.  

????

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

The ultra remote controls the tv by IR, and yes all samsung respond to the same IR code set, so the roku remote is doing exactly has its supposed to, controlling both. In a secret menu of the roku you could switch the roku from sending tv IR to cec signals instead. With cec signal it would be sent via wifi to the ultra then the ultra send a cec signal over the hdmi cable only controlling the tv its connected to. 

Edmund

0 Kudos
a6jock
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

If I hold the Ultra remote very close to the ROKU device I don't get the stray IR signal turning the TV on / off in the other room.   (I am OK with this, you used to have to get up and turn TVs on and off manually back in the day).   

However, if I wanted to pursue this "secret menu" on the remote how and where ? 

ROKU needs to formalize this process so it is easily done??   Many buyers will have the same issue. 

Regards 

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

I included the steps to menu but the moderator must edited it out. 

Edmund

0 Kudos