Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chrisgx
Level 7

Remote control conflict w/ 2 Rokus?

If I purchase a second Roku, does the pairing process take care of one remote controlling both units, or will I have a problem here? 

No need to read more, but If you want to know why I'm asking:
Since I have no DirectV signal, I can get NFL sunday ticket via Directv Now, via Roku.  Still to be confirmed, it may be that one account can access two channels simultaneously.  If this is true, I could have a second Roku connected to a second television along side the primary one, and each Roku could bring in a different NFLST channel, allowing me to watch two games at the same time.  But if I use the remote to change to a different game on one TV, I don't what the other Roku changing channels on the second TV.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
twiceover
Level 10

Re: Remote control conflict w/ 2 Rokus?

If they are RF remotes, the remote pairs to a specific roku.  They will not interfere with each other.  Now, if even one of the remotes is IR, it will control two devices at the same time that accept IR commands (basically any roku other than a stick).

Which device are you thinking of using?
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

Regardless of reason, if you want to run two Roku devices within proximity of each other, they'll need to be WiFi Direct devices, which means, of the current lineup, means Roku Strick/Stick+ or Ultra. Of the previous generation, add to the list the Premiere+ but not Premiere. Use the chart on this page to find devices that are WiFi Direct: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roku#Feature_comparison

Now, if one is a Stick, the other can be an IR-only device, as the Sticks aren't controlled by an IR remote, but all other devices can be controlled by an IR remote. If one is, say, an Ultra, the other can't be an IR-only device (Express/Express+ or Premiere, for instance), since the IR remote would work on the Ultra, even if you've paired a WiFi Direct remote.

If you've already invested in one IR-only devices (at least one, plus a non-Stick device), you could use the Roku app's Remote feature to control the IR device. If they're both IR-only devices, you're out of luck.

EDIT: Twiceover posted a more succinct version of what I was posting.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
chrisgx
Level 7

I currently have the 4640X (ultra) which according to that chart is both IR and WiFi Direct.  I won't buy a second unit until I confirm I can get two games with one account.  Re: Twiceover's comment; none on the list are RF.

Since a Stick also connects via HDMI, I have no problem with having a stick, so that's a go.

Does this work because each Roku sets up a different network?
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

"chrisgx" wrote:
I currently have the 4640X (ultra) which according to that chart is both IR and WiFi Direct.

That's because IR remotes will control it. It ships with a WiFi Direct remote, but if you have a Roku IR remote, it will control it, too.
"chrisgx" wrote:
I won't buy a second unit until I confirm I can get two games with one account.  Re: Twiceover's comment; none on the list are RF.

Since a Stick also connects via HDMI, I have no problem with having a stick, so that's a go.

You should be able to see the Roku Ultra on your Android or iOS phone as DIRECT-roku-xxx-xxxxxx. You can't connect with your phone, of course.

Right now, the Stick is on sale for $40 from Roku, Walmart, and Best Buy. Best Buy offers 30 days Sling TV with a Stick, in case others are thinking of Sling TV and a Stick.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 9

If you're getting NFLSundayTicket.TV because you aren't able to get DirecTV at your location, you don't really need DirecTV Now. It's a stand-alone app: https://nflst.directv.com/?CMP=LEC-P1-FM-EM-G-10072001
Only one game may be accessed remotely at any given time.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
twiceover
Level 10

"chrisgx" wrote:
I currently have the 4640X (ultra) which according to that chart is both IR and WiFi Direct.  I won't buy a second unit until I confirm I can get two games with one account.  Re: Twiceover's comment; none on the list are RF.

Wifi = RF...  Yes, each will create their own network to connect the remote to.  Should be good to go!
Also, Lucky you not being able to get DirectTV so you can have what every cord cutting NFL fan would like.  I'd love to pay the NFL money to watch my team.  But, they don't seem to want it.
0 Kudos
chrisgx
Level 7

Since it appears I can't have a second stream with one account, adding another receiver is now moot!

The problem now is to contact nflsundayticket.  Their Chat button is never there, and if you click on email, it opens a new email, with nothing in the TO field.  And if you click on contact us, I am sent to the main DTV number!

So wish me luck, and thank you all for fast, accurate and informative replies.

Chris
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

You could put a piece of black (or other opaque) tape over the Ultra face to block the IR signal, then use an IR controlled device for the second TV. BUt you have to make sure you really cover the sensor on the Ultra, or a stray IR pulse will sneak in there. 
I have to do something similar in my den, because the remote for my Sharp Roku TV also controls a smaller Vizio TV I use as a computer monitor. I have a business card taped over the Vizio IR receiver window, and just flip it up if I need to control the Vizio for some reason. It was really annoying to change inputs on the Sharp and the Vizio did the same thing. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
mikerupolo
Level 7

I would like to know why it seems thaty IR remote only is working within proximity to my cell phone???? I can show video of this it wont work when the phone is locked. Only the pixel 2 xl. I have tried other phones its only this one. Please help
0 Kudos