Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Fred_Irkinfentl
Reel Rookie

Remote buttons acting stuck

My Roku Express acts as if the remote buttons are "stuck".  If I press the "right" button for example, the selection will move right, and then continue forever until I press another button.  This happens with any button, not just some of them.

This is not a problem with the IR remote.  If, for example, I press the "down" button at the channel menu, the cursor will scroll down through the list, looping back, forever.  I can then remove the batteries from the remote, and the scrolling continues.

Clearly the remote is not sending these "scroll down" signals.  The Roku Express box, for whatever reason, is repeatedly processing non-existent button presses.

This behavior came on abruptly.  Two days ago it never happened.  Now it happens 100% of the time.  I noticed a firmware update right before this started happening.  Hoping a fix was available, I updated the firmware again to no avail.

20 REPLIES 20
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Remote buttons acting stuck

First thing I would try is to restart the Roku.  If you can get sufficient control with the remote, you'd do this via Settings > System > System restart.  If not, pull the power cord for a few seconds then plug it back in.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
renojim

@Fred_Irkinfentl wrote:

This is not a problem with the IR remote.  If, for example, I press the "down" button at the channel menu, the cursor will scroll down through the list, looping back, forever.  I can then remove the batteries from the remote, and the scrolling continues.

Clearly the remote is not sending these "scroll down" signals.  The Roku Express box, for whatever reason, is repeatedly processing non-existent button presses.

The problem may be that the remote never sent the "button up" code.   Remotes often send two codes - one when the button is pressed and one when it's released.  If the Roku never receives the second code it will act as if the button is still being pressed.

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Fred_Irkinfentl
Reel Rookie

Tried that, several times.  No effect.

Fred_Irkinfentl
Reel Rookie

It sounds like you're guessing that the Roku remote works this way.  Is this something you know to be true, or simply suspect is true?

Anyway, I suppose that is worth considering, since the occasional button press is also missed, but I must say, the repeating button symptom is pretty much 100%, whereas the missed press is very infrequent.

Tivoburkee

It sounds like IR interference from another source in the room, you roku remote is fine it is just getting caught in a feedback loop. It usually effects repeating commands the most. Check for other remotes in the room, under a cushion, under a book? Try standing in front of roku at different angles to see if you can block the offending signal.

Edmund

0 Kudos
renojim

@Fred_Irkinfentl wrote:

It sounds like you're guessing that the Roku remote works this way.  Is this something you know to be true, or simply suspect is true?

I know the remote sends both codes.  The software can only look for the "button press" code and ignore the "button release" code or it can require both codes.  It's up to the developer.

0 Kudos
Jh13

Was this ever resolved? Mine is doing this, even with my app remote. 

MrBee

This is an old thread, but this result popped up before I found a solution, so  hopefully this solution below will help others. This worked for me, and also apparently works for other weird things the remotes do after updates happen 🤷‍♂️ 

Settings > Remotes & Devices > Remotes. Next, select your remote and proceed to “Set up remote for TV control”. Seems like you're doing nothing, but it just fixed mine.

I did this and it just fixed it. Hopefully it fixes yours too

JimCockfield
Binge Watcher

MrBee:

I found this thread by using Google to search for "Roku voice remote sticking buttons " (minus the quotes).

Interesting...coming up on 2 years now.

Thanks for your contribution to the thread.  Hopefully, the same solution will solve my issues.

I can't help but wonder if it really is a problem with sticking keys vs a software/firmware bug.l 

I'll try your solution and will report back.  Note that I'm currently using a Roku Express 4K+ (3941R) with a voice remote. 

The remote was already working with my TV (new Hisense 65U7G) and sound bar (Nakamichi Shockwafe Pro 7.1 SSE) controlling volume, sound mute and power.  But, I  went through the settings menu as outlined in your post anyway.

BTW, this comment is off topic.  However if any remote designers are seeing this, the button placement on the remote side for Volume Mute is horrible.

This mute button is accidentally pressed multiple times per day on my remote.  I can't seem to get used to it.   Grrr.

Having volume up/down keys on the remote's side is fine.  But, please find a different location for the mute button.  😆

Anyway, the sticky key problem has been occurring on a regular basis.  So, it shouldn't take long to find out if the fix works on my remote and Roku Express 4K+

Note that I'll be switching to a Roku Ultra soon (already bought it), because the Roku Express 4K+ doesn't support Dolby ATMOS.

Amazing, no support for ATMOS  without getting the Ultra model, even though I'm using an eARC connection from the TV to the Soundbar.

So, it be will be interesting to see if this issue is present on both of the Express 4K+ (3941R) , and the newest Ultra 2022 (4802R)

I'll update this thread soon.

0 Kudos