Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Fred_Irkinfentl
Level 7

Remote buttons acting stuck

My Roku Express acts as if the remote buttons are "stuck".  If I press the "right" button for example, the selection will move right, and then continue forever until I press another button.  This happens with any button, not just some of them.

This is not a problem with the IR remote.  If, for example, I press the "down" button at the channel menu, the cursor will scroll down through the list, looping back, forever.  I can then remove the batteries from the remote, and the scrolling continues.

Clearly the remote is not sending these "scroll down" signals.  The Roku Express box, for whatever reason, is repeatedly processing non-existent button presses.

This behavior came on abruptly.  Two days ago it never happened.  Now it happens 100% of the time.  I noticed a firmware update right before this started happening.  Hoping a fix was available, I updated the firmware again to no avail.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
makaiguy
Level 21

Re: Remote buttons acting stuck

First thing I would try is to restart the Roku.  If you can get sufficient control with the remote, you'd do this via Settings > System > System restart.  If not, pull the power cord for a few seconds then plug it back in.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos
renojim
Level 21

@Fred_Irkinfentl wrote:

This is not a problem with the IR remote.  If, for example, I press the "down" button at the channel menu, the cursor will scroll down through the list, looping back, forever.  I can then remove the batteries from the remote, and the scrolling continues.

Clearly the remote is not sending these "scroll down" signals.  The Roku Express box, for whatever reason, is repeatedly processing non-existent button presses.

The problem may be that the remote never sent the "button up" code.   Remotes often send two codes - one when the button is pressed and one when it's released.  If the Roku never receives the second code it will act as if the button is still being pressed.

0 Kudos
Fred_Irkinfentl
Level 7

Tried that, several times.  No effect.

0 Kudos
Fred_Irkinfentl
Level 7

It sounds like you're guessing that the Roku remote works this way.  Is this something you know to be true, or simply suspect is true?

Anyway, I suppose that is worth considering, since the occasional button press is also missed, but I must say, the repeating button symptom is pretty much 100%, whereas the missed press is very infrequent.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Level 21

It sounds like IR interference from another source in the room, you roku remote is fine it is just getting caught in a feedback loop. It usually effects repeating commands the most. Check for other remotes in the room, under a cushion, under a book? Try standing in front of roku at different angles to see if you can block the offending signal.

Edmund
0 Kudos
renojim
Level 21

@Fred_Irkinfentl wrote:

It sounds like you're guessing that the Roku remote works this way.  Is this something you know to be true, or simply suspect is true?

I know the remote sends both codes.  The software can only look for the "button press" code and ignore the "button release" code or it can require both codes.  It's up to the developer.

0 Kudos
Jh13
Level 7

Was this ever resolved? Mine is doing this, even with my app remote. 

0 Kudos