Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Zthing
Reel Rookie

Remote battery drain using private listening

Jump to solution

Whenever I use the earbuds/headphones with my Roku Ultra remote the new batteries drain rather quickly. Just recently started doing this. What'd wrong??

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Remote battery drain using private listening

Jump to solution

@Zthing-

Be aware that whenever something is plugged into that jack it turns on the remote's internal earphone amplifier, which uses energy from the batteries and can significantly reduce battery life, whether or not the Roku is streaming anything. Be sure you unplug your earphones when they are not actively being used.

As an alternate means of remote listening, you can install the Roku app (not TheRokuChannel app) on a phone or tablet. In addition to being able to provide remote control for your Roku, it also includes a remote listening function. You can listen via your phone/tablet's built in speaker or via earphones or speaker connected to the device, without adding extra drain to your Roku remote.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Zthing-

Be aware that whenever something is plugged into that jack it turns on the remote's internal earphone amplifier, which uses energy from the batteries and can significantly reduce battery life, whether or not the Roku is streaming anything. Be sure you unplug your earphones when they are not actively being used.

As an alternate means of remote listening, you can install the Roku app (not TheRokuChannel app) on a phone or tablet. In addition to being able to provide remote control for your Roku, it also includes a remote listening function. You can listen via your phone/tablet's built in speaker or via earphones or speaker connected to the device, without adding extra drain to your Roku remote.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
Zthing
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thank you Makalguy. It's an extra step but helpful for sure. Still wonder why previously the batteries did not drain much at all even after 2 or more hours of use. It started draining the batteries in less than 1 hour. This started being a problem about a week ago.

0 Kudos
Zthing
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I suppose I should clarify that I went through three pairs of Duracell batteries in three days this last week of occasional remote (with the headphones) usage.

Whereas just using the remote w/o the headphones the batteries last a very long time. That involves viewing and remote use about 3 to 4 hours daily for at least a few months.

0 Kudos
RutDog
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Private listening on my Android similarly drains my phone's battery.

But I just plug in the phone and use Bluetooth headphones.

0 Kudos