Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Remote battery covers / equivalent models

'lo all, log time listener, first time caller...

I have a Roku 4 (4400X) which had its battery cover clip snap off while a member of the household was trying to replace the batteries.  Judging from posts both here and elsewhere (e.g., Reddit), apparently this particular style/generation of remote (the "enhanced gaming remote w/ voice" that shipped with later Roku 3s and the Roku 4) had its cover/door redesigned and is rather susceptible to this mode of low-tech failure...

I reached out to Roku Support on Twitter to find out how I could order a replacement battery cover, only to be told that they can't replace or fulfill orders just for battery covers: you gotta buy an entire remote.  Seems a waste, especially since the remote itself still works just fine and is merely missing a small plastic piece.  That said, they generously offered to ship me a replacement remote, despite the fact that my Roku is long out of warranty!

I received the replacement, and again: I want to stress how grateful I am and how generous their offer was!  But what they sent me was the currently-shipping voice remote (RC-AL7 / RC490, MSRP $19.99, dual IR/RF w/ TV power / volume / mute), not (as I assumed) an exact replacement for the remote that my Roku 4 shipped with.  Though this new remote has a couple of nice features (namely, the TV power & mute buttons), it does not have feature-parity with the original remote, as it lacks private listening / headphone jack, the A/B gaming buttons and motion control, and -- critically -- the remote finder / buzzer.  (I really should have thought to ask Roku Support which remote they intended to send me, but did not think to do so until after it had apparently already shipped.)

So as a result, I'm *still* on the hunt for either a replacement battery cover that can fit my original remote, or a replacement remote that matches the original.  (To be clear, I don't care about the sponsored shortcut buttons.)

As far as I can tell, the original remote (RC-TR2 / RC39) is essentially the exact same as the Roku 3 4230X enhanced game remote w/ voice search, but with the remote finder buzzer added to it.  I see that Roku still sells a "gaming remote" (shows as RC72 when added to shopping cart) for $30 (ouch...) that is listed as compatible with Roku 3 and Roku 2 3rd-gen and which looks identical to mine *from the front*, but I can't tell if it has the remote finder.  I found a picture of a remote elsewhere online that looks *identical* to RC72 down to the shortcuts, but apparently doesn't have the remote finder and the label says "RC54".  So I'm hopeful that RC72 might be RC54 + remote finder?

Can anybody tell me definitively if RC72 has the remote finder feature or not?

Thanks,

-- Nathan

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Level 17

Re: Remote battery covers / equivalent models

I have a Roku 3 with an RC20 remote. The dog munched on the battery cover a bit. I was able to smooth out most of the tooth marks and the cover looked to be back to its original shape but it never fit snugly after that. A drop of a foot onto carpet was enough to pop it off. A little black electrician's tape did wonders.
  • Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

I am well aware of the magical "reparative" properties of various kinds of tape. 😂 But I'm looking for more elegant solutions...

The problem is common enough that some people have devised 3D-printer projects for replacement battery covers for these remotes.  But all of the ones I've seen seem to look and function like garbage w/ terrible fit and finish...

Part of the problem here, besides Roku's lack of offering *just* replacement battery covers, is that even if you want and are willing to pay for an entire remote replacement, they have devised so many variants (most of them completely undocumented) that it's nearly impossible to keep up.  You say you have an RC20?  From what I've been able to deduce over much research, this SKU (32260000082) is based off of the RC03 (so: WiFi-Direct gaming remote, NON-voice-search capable, has blue and green A/B buttons instead of black), but with added sponsored shortcut buttons comprised of Netflix + Amazon + Rdio (defunct) + Vudu, which means it probably shipped with a late-production-run 4200X Roku 3 originally purchased at Walmart.

The ONLY reason I know that is because I have seen pictures of such a remote in completed eBay listings.

That reverse-engineering this from looking at eBay listings is the only way to figure out which remote model #s match up with which feature sets, and that there is no first-hand source of information on existent remote models, is ridiculous.  (Of course, the number of remote model permutations that exist in the first place is kind of ridiculous as well.)

Highlighted
Level 8

For the record, a very kind community member who actually owns an "RC72" that they ordered direct from Roku.com PM'd me to inform me that their remote does not have the remote finder speaker grille on the back.  It also bears "TC2-RCB5" as the FCC-ID on the ID sticker inside the battery compartment, whereas every gaming remote that has the remote finder speaker (the ones shipped with Roku 4) all seem to bear FCC-ID "TC2-RCB6".

So ordering an "RC72" from Roku would not result in a remote with all the same features as the one the Roku 4 ships with out-of-the-box, either.

Bizarrely, though it's referred to as "RC72" on the Roku site, the ID sticker on the remote says "RC54".  Which isn't confusing at all, is it?  (I wonder what model # the remote identifies itself with to the Roku, but I'm not going to trouble my very kind friend any further.)

Even more bizarrely, the FCC OET database has absolutely no record of a TC2-RCB5.  So, make of that what you will.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Roku 3 remotes none of them will have the remote finder since the roku 3 didn't have that feature. This goes for the original RC03 Roku 3 remote, along with the RC19 which added the 4 discrete app keys and green & blue gaming keys. To the last gaming remotes with black A & B keys. Think of the roku 3, there is no button on the outside of it for the remote finder. The battery doors for all three roku 3 remotes aren't interchangeable with each other, so doubt they would fit a Roku 4 remote.  

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Edmund,

Thanks for the reply.

I have a Roku 3 4230X2 in addition to the Roku 4.  The 4230X2 came with an RC79 model remote, which is an enhanced gaming remote w/ voice search and black A/B buttons, which from what I can tell from looking at pictures on-line of the RC35 that shipped with the original release of the 4230X, is identical to the RC35 in every way except for the shortcut buttons (RC35: Netflix / Amazon / Rdio / Hulu; RC79: Netflix / Amazon / Sling / Vudu [Walmart edition]).  The RC35 and RC79 also both share the exact same FCC-ID: TC2-RCB5.

Putting them side-by-side, the late-model Roku 3 enhanced remote that I have is a dead-ringer for the Roku 4 remote in every conceivable way, save for the shortcut buttons AND the fact that the remote that came with the Roku 4 has the remote finder speaker on the back, while the one that came with the Roku 3 does not.  Both have glossy front and matte back plastic housings that are clearly cut from the exact same molds, both have the exact same arrangement of buttons (with an hourglass-style voice search button, no instant-replay button, the OK button BELOW the D-pad instead of in the center of it, etc.).  AND the battery cover from the RC79 FITS the Roku 4's remote just fine.

It is clear as day to anybody who looks at them sitting next to each other that they are the same product, except that some of them omit the remote finder speaker.

Thus, at least to me, the question of whether the "gaming remote" currently being sold directly by Roku on their web site included the remote finder speaker seemed a reasonable one.  Since a Roku 4 remote can pair and work 100% with a Roku 3, it's conceivable that at some point Roku might've decided to stop manufacturing versions of this remote that do not include the speaker...I mean, if you're going to keep manufacturing one version of it, why wouldn't it be the most feature-full one?  Especially since the Roku 4 is a newer product and those boxes are likely to remain in service longer than R3s?  And if you sold replacement remotes with the speaker to Roku 3 owners, having the speaker there despite the fact that the R3 can't take advantage of it hurts nobody.

But apparently this is not what Roku decided to do, as I now know.

I don't have any at my disposal to test this theory with, but although I grant "original Roku 3" (RC03) and "Roku 3 with shortcuts but no voice search" (RC19) have a different battery door design (with a latch to depress on the body of the remote above the door) than the Roku 3 "late model" and Roku 4 remotes, I'm pretty sure the RC03 and RC19 battery doors are in fact interchangeable between each other.  Both RC03 and RC19 are FCC-ID TC2-RCB3, have the same battery door release mechanism, and appear to have also been cast from the same plastic molds as each other, with the only difference being that Roku cut out some extra holes on the front for the new sponsored shortcut buttons.

-- Nathan

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I need 2 battery covers for model RC GR3 but I don't see those listed anywhere, what would they be. And Roku, really, make better battery cover doors or make replacements.  I don't have kids and mine keep breaking and I don't want to use tape.  I own and use3 rokus, I think it's the least you could do for your customers.

0 Kudos