Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Remote Turns on My LG TV in another room

My Roku Premiere remote keeps turning on my other tv in the kitchen (LG). How do I fix this problem? The tv that my Roku is connected to is a Sony. Thanks 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Level 18

Re: Remote Turns on My LG TV in another room

It doesn't control the Sony tv at all? 

Go into the settings> remote & devices> remote in use> program tv, follow the prompts. 

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

As @Tivoburkee mentions, you can change the TV remote function in the Roku menu. But unless the Roku is connected to a TV via HDMI there's no way it can be using CEC to control a different TV. The remote uses IR (infrared) to control a TV when not using CEC, and that requires line of sight between the TV and the remote. It is possible for the IR signal to sometimes bounce off a wall (glass works even better), so it's possible your remote is somehow getting that IR signal into the other room. One test would be to cover the IR receiver window on the LG TV and see if it still happens. I can't think of any scenario that it would. 

It's certainly possible that LG and Sony uses the same IR codes, in which case it won't work to reprogram the remote to only control the Sony. All you can do is block the IR signal from reaching the LG TV in the other room. Move a mirror, close a door, just something to block the reflection from reaching the other room. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

No it is not paired with the Sony tv.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 18

@sivicman 

So follow my steps to program it for the sony. 

Settings> remote & devices> remote in use> program tv, follow prompts

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

IR remotes are not paired. Only WiFi or Bluetooth protocols require pairing. IR remotes are simply coded to use the specific IR sequences of a particular brand. As I mentioned, some brand use the same codes. For example, my Roku TV remote will also control several Vizio TVs in my home. That's why it's possible the LG and Sony both use the same codes. But even different sets from the same brand will use different codes, so it's always worth checking what is set. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I ended up just putting a tissue box in front of the LG tv to keep it from coming on. Couldn't figure out another way of fixing the problem.

0 Kudos