Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Remote Finder on Ultra

Lost remote finder on Roku Ultra works intermittently. Just set up new Roku Ultra and love it. If remote is right next to the unit, it works. If it is across the room, it just says sending signal. It will not play sound. Repaired remote several times to unit but no luck. Any suggestions? Is it a wifi issue?

13 Replies
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Remote Finder on Ultra

I have a very similar problem.  in my case it seems the lost remote finder only works if I have recently pushed a button on the remote.

If I set it down for some time, or if I use the app to control my ultra, then the remote finder doesn't work.

Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@mikevio16 @pstone 

Thanks for the post.

Please be aware that the Roku remote will not emit the remote finder sound if the batteries are dead, or if the remote is out-of-range of your wireless network.

For more information about the Roku remote finder feature, visit our Support page here: How do I find my Roku® remote using remote finder?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I have the exact same problem. I have been sporadically emailing with support about this. They suggested a number of things, all of which didn't address the problem for me. Below is what they suggested if you wish to try them. My signal strength was fine; I tried resetting network. I can't really switch between 5/2.4 GHz. But I have the same problem: it is "sporadic" in that it works if it's been recently "signaled" and/or right in front of the Roku Ultra, but not when it's actually been lost! Please help!

• Check with network signal strength and the speed you are receiving from the network.
  • You can check with fast.com on your computer or you can check the speed on the Roku device by going to Settings>Network>Check Connection. 
  • Perform network connection reset by going to Settings>System> Advanced system settings> Network connection reset> Reset connection.
  • After restarting try connecting to the internet again by going to settings>network>set-up connection.
  • Try changing the wireless channel from 2.4 Ghz to 5 Ghz.

Highlighted
Level 7

I’m also having this issue. The remote can be within 6 feet of the Ultra and if I haven’t pressed a button on the remote in the last few minutes it won’t signal it when I press find remote button. I’m also only about 8 feet away from my wireless router so WiFi signal strength isn’t an issue.

At this point it seems like find remote is a gimmick that doesn’t actually work as described. 

Highlighted
Level 8

Please be aware!!! (Stupid line)

im testing my remote locator in front of my brand new system and it is not working.. I've gone through settings and my box is setup wirelessly.  I bought it today cause i lost a previous remote to a different roku system.  Should i return the system.  It was the last one.. its literally 6 ft in front of the transmitter/ reciever... DANNNNNNNNNNNNYYYYYY..

Actually it works if i select via remote " find remote" which doesn't seem to help if i actually lose the remote.. 

@RokuDanny-R wrote:

@mikevio16 @pstone 

Thanks for the post.

Please be aware that the Roku remote will not emit the remote finder sound if the batteries are dead, or if the remote is out-of-range of your wireless network.

For more information about the Roku remote finder feature, visit our Support page here: How do I find my Roku® remote using remote finder?

Thanks,
Danny

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I am also experiencing the issue where the remote finder feature doesn't work, unless I have pressed a button on the remote in the last several seconds. This is with a brand new Ultra I just got last week. To be clear, it doesn't matter where the remote is. Even if the remote is inches away from the box, it still doesn't work. 

If I press a button on the remote, wait no more than a few seconds, then press the finder button on the box, the remote will play the locator sound. However, if I wait at least ten seconds before pressing the finder button, the remote will not play a sound. I get a "Signaling remotes..." message for about sixty seconds followed by a "Listen for your remote. Press any remote button to stop the sound." message and a sixty second countdown, but the remote never plays a sounds.

It seems this isn't any kind of configuration or WiFi issue, because it will work every time if I press the finder button quickly enough. But it's not going to be much help when I actually need to find the remote, because obviously I won't have pressed a button within the last several seconds.

Tags (1)
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@T-o-d-d 

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model
-serial number
-device ID
-software OS/version
(these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-when did this issue start to appear

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Model: 4670X - Roku Ultra

Serial Number: YJ00D4654538

Software Version: 9.3.0 - build 4170-46

Device ID: KWA06D654538

Well I first noticed it a few days ago, but that was the first time I tried to use the finder feature as I only got the device last week.

Highlighted
Level 8

Danny obviously doesn't read these messages.. 

But here's my info.. bought day of my initial  reply post. 

Model: 4670X

Fcc ID: TC2-R1016

SN: KW905G050439

SOFTWARE VERSION: 9.3.0 BUILD 4170-46

UPTIME: 10 DAYS 6HOURS 30 MINS

I think id prefer a robot over an actual paid employee that doesn't read messages he responds too. Pretty annoying.  Ill just return it to target as defective.  Thanks for the knowledge Danny. You're like zero help man.  @RokuDanny-R