Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
spearhead
Reel Rookie

Remote Down Arrow Goes Down and then to Left - How to fix

Remote is for Premier+ model 4630x

When pressing the down arrow, it goes down then left.  The same thing appears to happen when press left arrow - it also goes down and left.

Is there any way to fix this? If not, what is the equivalent replacement remote to purchase?

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Remote Down Arrow Goes Down and then to Left - How to fix

@spearhead 

It could be a dirty contact, and you could try blowing it out with air. If that fails, a new remote may be the solution.

The Premiere+ model 4630 is essentially a Roku Ultra minus the USB port. It's a good device, and you should be able to get more years out of it.

That model came with a WiFi Direct remote. That remote is no longer available, but its replacement in the lineup of remotes will work with it. The Roku Voice Remote is $20 and can be picked up online, or from Walmart, Best Buy, Target, or a number of other retailers.

I'm going by memory, but I think my Premiere+ (4630; retired) came with a remote that had headphones and a jack. Be aware that the Voice Remote doesn't include headphone support, but does have the power and volume buttons you're used to. If you really want the headphones capability (which you could replicate with the Roku app on your smartphone) on the remote, you would need the Voice Remote Pro ($30), available at the same retailers or online. It has rechargeable batteries, by the way.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
spearhead
Reel Rookie

Thanks DBDukes. I figured dirty contact but was hoping it possibly could be a software glitch that could be corrected with some kind of reset. To blow it out with air, looks like I would have to crack this open. Any advice on doing that?

I Don't use headphone capability (you are right that this has a jack for headphones). I assume that the Roku Voice Remote will pair with my 4630X -- correct?

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@spearhead wrote:

... To blow it out with air, looks like I would have to crack this open. Any advice on doing that? ...

I use one of the air cans (Walmart, other retailers) with the extension tubes (which are also great for keyboards). Just force air around the button. Since the button gives when you press it, there's a small space (very small) between the button that protrudes from underneath and the casing. If you can direct air there, you may be able to move the dust inside. You probably won't remove the dust, just move it, but that may be good enough.

If you have to make a special run to the store for a can of air, you may just want to pick up a remote anyway. Unless you were going to the store already.

@spearhead wrote:

...I assume that the Roku Voice Remote will pair with my 4630X -- correct?

Yes it will work.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
spearhead
Reel Rookie

Thanks again for your advice.

0 Kudos