Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Remote Does Not Work With Certain Apps

Jump to solution

I have Roku Express with the remote.  The remote quit working on 2 apps on the Roku home page.  I tried deleting and reinstalling those apps...no luck.  When you go into them, the screen either just freezes or the remote just dies.  The only way to get out of it is to hit the home button.  I do not have this problem with any other app.  I changed the batteries and the problem was the same. Very frustrating.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Remote Does Not Work With Certain Apps

Jump to solution

You are right, it does not work with the IOS app on my phone, either.  I will have to figure out how to contact FOX technical support on this....Thanks.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Level 21

Jump to solution

What channels/apps are you referring to? Since the Home button is getting you out if them, it would seem the remote is fine. It's possible the problem is with the channel itself, and not the Roku. But if it's one of the major channels, that becomes less likely. But we need more detail. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

It's Fox News and Fox Business.  I was able to get into them by going down the menu to "streaming channels", do a search, then enter into them that way.  It worked for awhile, but then it also stopped working. Before I contact them, I wanted to see if anyone else was having this problem and there was a solution out there.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

Jump to solution

@rodarby wrote:

It's Fox News and Fox Business.  I was able to get into them by going down the menu to "streaming channels", do a search, then enter into them that way.  It worked for awhile, but then it also stopped working. Before I contact them, I wanted to see if anyone else was having this problem and there was a solution out there.

I haven't noticed any comments about those particular channels. But I would be suspicious that it's the channels themselves, since they are both for the same provider. You could test and see if you can control them with the Roku app on a iOS or Android device. But I have a hunch the same thing will happen, which would just confirm it's the channels themselves. Roku hasn't released any firmware updates recently, so I would have my doubts that an update there caused it. But I have no idea if Fox has recently updated their channels, and broke them in the process. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

You are right, it does not work with the IOS app on my phone, either.  I will have to figure out how to contact FOX technical support on this....Thanks.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@rodarby 

Thanks for the posts.

Is this issue still occurring? Are you still unable to try removing the channel from your Home screen?

If you are still experiencing this issue, please provide us with the Roku model number, the serial number of the Roku device from Settings>System>About, as well as the channel versions of each of the channels (select the channel on the Home screen and press the * button).

We will be able to assist you further once we have that information.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I'm having the same problem with FOX news. I haven't found any fixes yet but I'll let you know if I do.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I was having the same problem but it didn't take 2 minutes to figure out you have to pay for it. They give you a code and say contact your TV provider.  Don't know what to do at this point because you are my TV provider. Why it locks out the remote seems to be a bug. I had to load it through the streaming channel and then it said I had 10 minutes of free viewing and locked up on 5 minutes.

Thanks,

Dennis

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

Jump to solution

@Dennisg2 wrote:

I was having the same problem but it didn't take 2 minutes to figure out you have to pay for it. They give you a code and say contact your TV provider.  Don't know what to do at this point because you are my TV provider.

Roku is not a TV provider. They are referring to a cable, satellite or online provider such as YouTube TV, Sling, or the cable or satellite companies. If you aren't subscribed through a service like that, you can't access that channel on a Roku device. 

Dan
0 Kudos