Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Danger_DANJ
Level 7

Remote Control problem

I just got my Roku the other day and hooked it up with no problems, but when I got to the first start up screen, the remote was constantly sending a signal to the Roku. I took the batteries out and put them back in and everything seemed fine until I put the back cover back on the remote and it started going crazy again. Sure enough, if I take the back cover off the remote, it works fine. With the back cover off, if I squeeze the remote a certain way, the remote goes off again. Somehow it seems if the remote is squeezed, it makes the home button go off even though it's not being pressed. Anyone have this problem and figure out a fix for it?

I've sent an email to Roku support and they have replied twice with things to check that have nothing to do with my remote problem. Do they just copy and paste generic answers or what? It's like they aren't listening to what I'm telling them. First they told me to check my auto dimming on my TV or to see if a wireless remote for my PS2 was causing the issue. I have no TV with auto dimming and no wireless remote for my PS2. Then they had me reset and set up the Roku again. What does any of that have to do with the remote malfunctioning the way I described?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
teknojunkie
Level 7

Re: Remote Control problem

That explains what was wrong with my first Roku box. It was like Energizer Bunny was inside my remote. It just kept going and going. Try unscrewing the screws a bit in the remote with a small screwdriver. It could be they were too tight during manufacturing.

Otherwise, you might be able to get a replacement remote if it's under warranty.
0 Kudos
elorimer
Level 7

They are thinking that some other IR source is generating a signal that is being received by the Roku box; interference in other words. This has been reported in the past, and this is the first post I've seen that suggests that the remote itself is malfunctioning.

It is clear that a corner of the home button isn't getting stuck under the cover, I'm assuming? That would be too easy.
0 Kudos
Danger_DANJ
Level 7

"elorimer" wrote:
It is clear that a corner of the home button isn't getting stuck under the cover, I'm assuming? That would be too easy.

No, the button isn't getting stuck under the cover. I wish that was the case.
0 Kudos
kc8pql
Level 7

Since this is apparently a new box, I would phone Roku support, rather than email, so you can explain the problem to a live person. There are problems with remotes and certain TVs and the suggestions they've given you are among fixes. Your problem seems to be different and it will be much easier to get that across by phone. Replacement remotes are less than 10 bucks retail so I doubt they'll have a problem sending you a another one once they understand yours is faulty. Here's the toll free number:
Phone Support: 888-600-7658
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R
0 Kudos
ronobvious
Level 7

"Danger DANJ" wrote:
I just got my Roku the other day and hooked it up with no problems, but when I got to the first start up screen, the remote was constantly sending a signal to the Roku. I took the batteries out and put them back in and everything seemed fine until I put the back cover back on the remote and it started going crazy again. Sure enough, if I take the back cover off the remote, it works fine. With the back cover off, if I squeeze the remote a certain way, the remote goes off again. Somehow it seems if the remote is squeezed, it makes the home button go off even though it's not being pressed. Anyone have this problem and figure out a fix for it?

I've sent an email to Roku support and they have replied twice with things to check that have nothing to do with my remote problem. Do they just copy and paste generic answers or what? It's like they aren't listening to what I'm telling them. First they told me to check my auto dimming on my TV or to see if a wireless remote for my PS2 was causing the issue. I have no TV with auto dimming and no wireless remote for my PS2. Then they had me reset and set up the Roku again. What does any of that have to do with the remote malfunctioning the way I described?

I can speak from experience that it is your remote and their support dept is wasting time.

Yes, they do auto cut-n-paste replies because their support dept is in India or some other foreign country. This happened to me. The second time I emailed them I told them 'send me a new remote under warranty' which they did. I didn't have to send it back.
0 Kudos
GPRHome
Level 7

I just started experiencing the same problem. My TCL Roku started behaving as though I was sending remote signals and the screens jumped from one thing to the next. I have only one Roku TV. I removed the remote batteries reinstalled and left the back off the remote and the problem recurs as soon as I turn the tv back on. If I remove the batteries from the remote and use the Roku app on my iPhone, the same thing happens. I have no close neighbors, so the signal can’t be coming from a house nearby.
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

Please start a new thread.

Forum Rules
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos