Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tboozer
Level 7

Remote Control Overheating?

Our Roku XD|S has been working fine. After I recently replaced the batteries in the remote control, however, the remote and the batteries got incredibly hot to the touch and it quit working. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Is it possible to obtain a replacement remote, etc?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
kc8pql
Level 7

Re: Remote Control Overheating?

Replacement remotes available here:
https://shop.roku.com/accessories-all

Your symptoms make me think the batteries were inserted incorrectly.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R
0 Kudos
socantra
Level 7

"tboozer" wrote:
Our Roku XD|S has been working fine. After I recently replaced the batteries in the remote control, however, the remote and the batteries got incredibly hot to the touch and it quit working. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Is it possible to obtain a replacement remote, etc?

The only thing I know of that can cause batteries to get "incredibly hot to the touch" is a dead short between the positive and negative terminals. It is not uncommon in the old 9 volt batteries that had the terminals right next to each other, but is very rare in the AAA batteries such as used in remotes, with the terminals at opposite ends. Look for a short between positive and negative terminals, try some new batteries and maybe you'll get lucky. If not, kc8pql listed the url in his post.
Please attempt to maintain a thin veneer of civility.
Remember, you are speaking to strangers on the internet,
not your own family at home.
0 Kudos
tboozer
Level 7

Many thanks. Ordered a new remote today.
0 Kudos
billinny
Level 7

If you have an Iphone or Ipod Touch there is a free remote app for the roku,until the new one comes.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Level 9

"billinny" wrote:
If you have an Iphone or Ipod Touch there is a free remote app for the roku,until the new one comes.

There are free/cheap roku remote apps for Android too, so you are covered there too. The only thing missing is the tactile feedback from pressing physical buttons really
0 Kudos
timgren
Level 7

Same thing just happened to me -- with BOTH Brand new, arrived today remotes. The DESAY Batteries became SO HOT that the plastic wrapper on them melted. I replaced them with new Everready batteries, and all is fine... but RUKU may want to pull those DESAY batteries out of new packages. They are a real fire hazard.
0 Kudos
Chris8929
Level 7

I've had the Roku streaming stick+ for a couple years now. And the last few months the remote started eating through brand new batteries every couple days. Ive seen other posts about remotes eating batteries. And tonight it just started smoking on the couch. Luckily I caught it before it did any more damage. But did melt the remote enough so it does not work anymore. Has anyone else had this happen to them? And how do I get a new remote?
0 Kudos