Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Trikcee
Level 7

Re: Remoku (updated Firefox add-on: September 22, 2012)

"Gilgamesh" wrote:
Ah OK. It sounds like your Roku is not connecting correctly to your wireless network and without that connection Remoku cannot work. If you temporarily connect it wired you can get past that BUT when you go to set it up wirelessly you will again loose the Remoku setup and be back where you started. It is possible that for some reason your Roku is trying to connect to the wrong network or to the guest network on your router. You might be able to connect it wired and then use Remoku to get it connected to the wireless network. I am not exactly sure when during the setup process the wired connection is dropped in favor of the wireless. Since it is not working now I doubt there can be any harm done by trying.

The best thing would be to use your regular remote to get the network setup working.

If you know anyone with a Roku that uses an IR remote you can use that remote, or a universal remote with Roku codes, to get through the wireless setup.

Thank you so much! I don't know why I didn't think of that myself earlier! Smiley Wink
I just plugged it in. I'm ok with having it plugged in. I need my Netflix and pandora! Super cool of you to take your time to help!!!!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Gilgamesh
Level 8

"Trikcee" wrote:

Thank you so much! I don't know why I didn't think of that myself earlier! Smiley Wink
I just plugged it in. I'm ok with having it plugged in. I need my Netflix and pandora! Super cool of you to take your time to help!!!!

I'm glad you are up and running. As far as being hooked up wired; if it is at all possible it should always be the connection of choice as wired is always more reliable that wireless except in some VERY rare extreme conditions.

And about my time: You can expect to receive my bill next week on the first day that does not end in a "y." It will be at the average hourly rate charged by corporate lawyers + 10%. My time is clearly worth more than any upholstered parasite.
0 Kudos
steamer
Level 7

"Gilgamesh" wrote:

If you have not reserved an IP address for your Roku in your router ...

pray tell how does one go about doing so?
i haven't had any trouble yet having Remoku scan and find my Rokus ...
but ya never know.
"The Selection of Random Numbers is too Important to be Left to Chance."

Roku 1 - Model #2100X V 3.1 b1017
Roku 2 - Model #3100X V 5.5.321
both wired
VisionNet ADSL2+4 Ports Wireless
Toshiba 40G300U HDMI, 1080P
0 Kudos
Gilgamesh
Level 8

"steamer" wrote:
"Gilgamesh" wrote:

but ya never know.

Most routers have a DHCP reservation section where you can set the MAC id of your Roku to always connect to a given ip address. It is called different things in different routers and not all routers have that ability but most do.

Reserving a set ip address for your Roku, and for that matter any other devices, is a good idea simply to eliminate one variable if there are ever problems.
BTW: Your Roku and most other devices (all that I know) use a different MAC addresses for wired and wireless.
0 Kudos
steamer
Level 7

"Gilgamesh" wrote:
"steamer" wrote:
"Gilgamesh" wrote:

but ya never know.

Most routers have a DHCP reservation section where you can set the MAC id of your Roku to always connect to a given ip address. It is called different things in different routers and not all routers have that ability but most do.

Reserving a set ip address for your Roku, and for that matter any other devices, is a good idea simply to eliminate one variable if there are ever problems.
BTW: Your Roku and most other devices (all that I know) use a different MAC addresses for wired and wireless.

found this thread here on the board ...
will see if i can sus it out.
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=46648&start=30#p321210

both wired
0 Kudos
Trikcee
Level 7

"Gilgamesh" wrote:
"Trikcee" wrote:

I'm glad you are up and running. As far as being hooked up wired; if it is at all possible it should always be the connection of choice as wired is always more reliable that wireless except in some VERY rare extreme conditions.

And about my time: You can expect to receive my bill next week on the first day that does not end in a "y." It will be at the average hourly rate charged by corporate lawyers + 10%. My time is clearly worth more than any upholstered parasite.

Ha!! I'll be sure to get on that payment as soon as I figure out how to reserve this damn IP address! 8-) oh ya and I make payments solely in beer! Smiley LOL Broke girl! This is why I have a roku and not cable! Smiley Sad
0 Kudos
steamer
Level 7

logged into me router and found what i 'think' is the area ...
but without an exact walkthru for my model ...
i'm not gonna mess with it.
too many terms and things about which i haven't a clue.'
it's all well and fine for you geeks who know what you're doing ...
but i am not one of ya. Smiley Wink
it works now ...
and i want it to stay working.
so for me, it's KISS

both wired
0 Kudos
gonzotek
Level 7

Re: Remoku (updated Firefox add-on: February 14, 2014)

Heads up!

Mozilla has preliminarily approved an updated Firefox Remoku add-on. This update features compatibility with the latest versions of Firefox (and breaks older versions - please contact me if you need legacy support). The preferences UI has also been marginally improved; there are no new features, but the Remoku channel version option is now a list instead of plain text. (See Firefox Tools>Add-ons>Remoku 3>Preferences).

You can get it here:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/remoku/

Support is available at help.remoku.tv, or via this thread.

Share and enjoy! Smiley Happy
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com
0 Kudos

How about the web app version? My bookmarklet still shows Build Date: September 14, 2012 10:14:18 PM. Have you had a chance to look into some of the issues discussed a couple of years ago, e.g....
"Schmye Bubbula
":2i0a0rcy]1) On first load of webpage:
– Do some Remoku keypresses.
– Tab to focus on text field for ...

– –
Roku 3 (4200) purchased for $22.93 on clearance at Office Depot > Bleiden HDMI-to-Composite converter > old 4:3 CRT TV (now in another room, as I have acquired a modern LCD flat screen TV, March 2017)

R.I.P. Roku XD|S (2100), Feb 2011–Apr 2016
0 Kudos
gonzotek
Level 7

"Schmye Bubbula" wrote:
How about the web app version? My bookmarklet still shows Build Date: September 14, 2012 10:14:18 PM. Have you had a chance to look into some of the issues discussed a couple of years ago, e.g....
"Schmye Bubbula
":1f4gvtdk]1) On first load of webpage:
– Do some Remoku keypresses.
– Tab to focus on text field for ...

I've had a development version on slow simmer now for quite some time that should address these. I'm gearing back up to release a beta soonish, but it's not ready for testing just yet. Sorry it's already taken far too long; some family and career issues have taken a lot of my free time the past couple years and I'm still trying to find a balance.
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com
0 Kudos