Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Really weird problem: All but one or two remote buttons not responding

@JacquelineA 

Thanks for the note.

Please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number of the Roku device from Settings>System>About along with a summary of the issue you are experiencing. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
pob35
Level 7

I twisted my remote as i pried apart... Simple. Manipulated the down button contact until worked. Using digital camera to see ir light is a helpful truck. Small back together. Good to go for how long i don't know. This has happened to me before. I usually just manipulate and it works for months. 

0 Kudos
BK420
Level 9

Just had this same issue with a brand new device/remote, does jot seem to be a cleaning/remote issue, as it's a new/clean device. I unplugged the roku box & when it restarted all remote buttons worked fine. Incredibly frustrating glitch, & very concerning to he experiencing it on a brand new device. 

0 Kudos
MCrockett
Level 7

When you open the orig. Roku remote, there are plastic extensions from the D-pad on the OK button and 1 side of the D-Pad for stability. They are meant to fit together like puzzle pieces, with a Male-to-female joint. (You can see the indentation if you look closely.)

If they were to shift or have hair/dust/debris, then it can cause multiple contacts to depress at the same time.

4 tiny screws, some denatured alcohol or 91%+ should handle it all. (If the remote got wet or there is skin oil that accumulated, you can do an alcohol bath/rinse, then use a hair dryer to evaporate the residue.)

*I solder motherboards for Northrop Grumman, and these things are very cheaply made Class-1 electronics. They're easier to replace. Built-in obsolescence rears its ugly head yet again.

0 Kudos
Tom_t
Level 7

is it the down, right and home buttons?

@GG_Crono wrote:
"renojim" wrote:
I've taken apart many Roku remotes and they've all snapped together (with maybe one screw in the battery compartment), but they are a pain to get apart.

To the OP, use your digital camera (phone) to see if you can see the IR LED on the remote flash when you press a button.

-JT

I did this, and I only get the flash when I press a couple of buttons. Which is telling, but also doesn't explain why it suddenly started working again last night, only to stop working again this morning.

In response to T_J: We do have a universal remote but I had no idea if it's compatible with our Roku. It's GE 8-Device remote.

0 Kudos
Tom_t
Level 7

My down, right, and home buttons do the same thing. Sonetimes they work, sometimes they dont

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@Tom_t

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide more information about the issue you are experiencing? What Roku model device are you using?

With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos