Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GG_Crono
Level 7

Really weird problem: All but one or two remote buttons not responding

So I came home from a weekend away to discover that, all of a sudden, only the down arrow button on my Roku Express's remote was responding. This was especially peculiar because it worked just fine Thursday night, right before I left. Yesterday night, I rebooted the Roku and changed the batteries, and nothing seemed to work, then all of a sudden, it did again. Now, this morning, same thing. Only the down arrow button does anything.

I've tried searching for similar problems, but the only results I've been able to find were what to do if the remote doesn't work at all, and I've taken those steps several times. Does anyone have any idea what the cause of this problem could be?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
15 Replies
jeffrok
Level 12

Re: Really weird problem: All but one or two remote buttons not responding

Sounds like something is loose inside the remote.. I'd just replace the remote.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

Could be dust or other dirt inside. Try blowing out with compressed air.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
ghb51
Level 9

If Basils suggestion doesn't do the trick you could try popping the remote open and cleaning all the contacts with 99% rubbing alcohol and a q-tip, i've never opened a Roku remote though, and you may have to crazy glue it back together in which case you might be happier just getting a new one like jeffrok suggested.
0 Kudos
renojim
Level 10

I've taken apart many Roku remotes and they've all snapped together (with maybe one screw in the battery compartment), but they are a pain to get apart.

To the OP, use your digital camera (phone) to see if you can see the IR LED on the remote flash when you press a button.

-JT
0 Kudos
T_J
Level 7

Could buy a $14.99 Roku Remote OR buy compressed air can, alcohol, crazy glue OR buy a GE 4-device remote (33709) for $5.84 at either Amazon or your local Walmart. I use 2 of the GE remotes for Roku 2 (4210) and Premiere+, GE remotes work great. You might buy the can of air, alcohol, and glue, and still have a non-functional remote. You may have to buy remote online, then pick up at local Walmart, I've seen higher in-store price than online price for items. Walmart website shows if remote is IN STOCK at your area store(s) for [free pickup today]..
0 Kudos
GG_Crono
Level 7

"renojim" wrote:
I've taken apart many Roku remotes and they've all snapped together (with maybe one screw in the battery compartment), but they are a pain to get apart.

To the OP, use your digital camera (phone) to see if you can see the IR LED on the remote flash when you press a button.

-JT

I did this, and I only get the flash when I press a couple of buttons. Which is telling, but also doesn't explain why it suddenly started working again last night, only to stop working again this morning.

In response to T_J: We do have a universal remote but I had no idea if it's compatible with our Roku. It's GE 8-Device remote.
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

"renojim" wrote:
... To the OP, use your digital camera (phone) to see if you can see the IR LED on the remote flash when you press a button. ...

"GG Crono" wrote:

I did this, and I only get the flash when I press a couple of buttons. Which is telling, but also doesn't explain why it suddenly started working again last night, only to stop working again this morning.

It indicates that either the contacts are bad or are dirty. We know IR works, because at least one button works. The simplest explanation, although not definitely the cause, would be that the contacts on the other buttons aren't working. Dirt will cause that. So will defective contacts. Cleaning will fix dirt.
"GG Crono" wrote:

In response to T_J: We do have a universal remote but I had no idea if it's compatible with our Roku. It's GE 8-Device remote.

If you have the papers that came with the remote, it will tell what devices it supports. Or, if you search online, you might find the manual for that particular model, but you'd need the model number. Note that some include a separate code list.

Also, the Roku code for one GE remote might be different than the Roku code for a different GE remote. And different from a Phillips remote. And different from an RCA remote. And so on.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
T_J
Level 7

Check info that came with your GE remote (in Streaming Media Player section). 
I checked for GE remote codes online and there appears to be a code list 3 (CL3) and a code list 4 (CL4). If you remove batteries, you will see a white Made in China label, label should also list remote model number and CL3 or CL4 (maybe).
2015 (11695) & 2016 (33709) GE 4-device remote package info; ROKU codes - 4395, 4355. [same as code list 3]
2017 (33709) GE 4-device remote package info; ROKU codes - 2014, 4395, 0903. [same as code list 4]
If you need instructions on entering codes let me know.
I like the GE remote because it can control my TV volume and Roku without changing inputs. 
0 Kudos
GG_Crono
Level 7

"Basil" wrote:

"GG Crono" wrote:

It indicates that either the contacts are bad or are dirty. We know IR works, because at least one button works. The simplest explanation, although not definitely the cause, would be that the contacts on the other buttons aren't working. Dirt will cause that. So will defective contacts. Cleaning will fix dirt.

And how much one go about cleaning the contacts and/or ascertaining whether or not they're defective? This seems like something that would be good to know.

Update: The universal remote works, which is nice. It doesn't seem to have a functional "back" button, which is a tad annoying, but eh, why should everything start working perfectly now? Smiley Happy Many thanks to everybody who offered feedback.
0 Kudos