Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
QuiGonJohn
Level 7

ROKU Premier Problem

Jump to solution

I have a ROKU PREMIER (4620R) which I got for Father's Day in June 2018.  We just moved and I put up a TV on my enclosed patio, mounted to the wall.  I was able to attach the ROKU between the MOUNTING PLATE and the back of the TV (there were spacers and the ROKU fit snugly & securely between these).

When I have the TV pulled out from the wall (to turn it, for example), the ROKU barely reads the remote, I have to hold the remote under the front of the TV.  But I also found that if the TV is pushed all the way back against the wall, the ROKU seems to pickup the remote like normal.  I put new batteries in the remote as the first step in troubleshooting, that did not help.

Can anyone help me get this working better?  When it does not work, I am only maybe 4 to 6 feet from the ROKU, it's not like I am really far away from it.  I thought these remotes worked with RADIO WAVES and not affected my line of sight or most things in their way.

THANKS!

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: ROKU Premier Problem

Jump to solution
@QuiGonJohn

As @jeffrok mentioned, the Premiere (model 4620) did not come with a Roku enhanced, point-anywhere remote. There are a couple options available though! 

You can either purchase the Roku Enhanced Voice Remote as an accessory on our website at https://support.roku.com/article/115002681087-how-do-i-control-my-roku-streaming-device-using-the-ro...

Cheers,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
25 Replies
jeffrok
Level 12

Jump to solution
I'd buy the enhanced remote, the one that works via RF, not IR. So much better for the setup you have.

I don't believe the remote that comes with the Premiere is the enhanced remote.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

Jump to solution
Yes, many Roku remotes use WiFI Direct. However, yours does not. The 4620 is IR only. So I don't think the Enhanced Remote will do you any good. Your Premiere uses IR only, so you need line of sight to use it. The reason it works better on one position compared to another is you are likely bouncing the infrared beam off of something that works better in that one position. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution
@QuiGonJohn

As @jeffrok mentioned, the Premiere (model 4620) did not come with a Roku enhanced, point-anywhere remote. There are a couple options available though! 

You can either purchase the Roku Enhanced Voice Remote as an accessory on our website at https://support.roku.com/article/115002681087-how-do-i-control-my-roku-streaming-device-using-the-ro...

Cheers,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
QuiGonJohn
Level 7

Jump to solution
FYI, the exact model, in the menu, says 4620RW.  Don't know if this makes any difference.  Wow, I am surprised, I also have a much older ROKU 2 (2720X) and lots of people on this fourm, when I had some issues with that one, told me that one is RF.  Why would Roku come out with a new one, years later, and not make it as good?  Would the Roku Enhanced Voice Remote work with my 4620RW?
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution
Different devices are sold with different accessories. Not all Roku devices come with, or are necessarily compatible with, enhanced point-anywhere remotes. (During the time those former models were offered for sale, the upgraded Premiere+ (model 4630) included a wireless remote.)

[RW] simply refers to the retailer that the device was originally sold at (Walmart). 

If you take a look at the product details for that remote on the accessories page I provided, you'll see the 4620 listed as a supported Roku device. It is definitely compatible with your model. 

Let me know if you have any other questions I can help answer! 

Cheers,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 12

Jump to solution
"QuiGonJohn" wrote:
FYI, the exact model, in the menu, says 4620RW.  Don't know if this makes any difference.  Wow, I am surprised, I also have a much older ROKU 2 (2720X) and lots of people on this fourm, when I had some issues with that one, told me that one is RF.  Why would Roku come out with a new one, years later, and not make it as good?  Would the Roku Enhanced Voice Remote work with my 4620RW?

Different "tiers" of Rokus get released every year. The Ultra was the "too tier" was available the year you bought your Premier. The Roku 2 XS was the top model in it's day.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
QuiGonJohn
Level 7

Jump to solution
Thanks all.  I will see if I can live with it like this.  I found if I aim it to just below the TV, so it's "hitting" the wall, it seems to do better.  If it's too much of a hassle I'll either get the upgraded remote or use the app (I did notice that in the menus).
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

Jump to solution
Tanner, are you confirming that any Roku player supports a WiFi remote, even if it came with an IR remote? I was under the assumption that if a player did not come with a WiFi remote it didn't have the hardware to support one. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution
No, that's not what I stated. 

You will see all compatible device models listed for each remote on our Player Accessories page here: https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/player

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos