Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DesertOutlaw
Binge Watcher

ROKU Express codes for universal remote with Samsung TV

Jump to solution

Can anyone verify the actual code for the ROKU 3900X?

The 4 "Streaming Player" codes that can be entered for the ROKU per the Monster 8-Device universal remote are 1966, 1992, 7009, and 7003. Starting to believe there is a printing error and the codes are for ROKU TV.  FYI, the two codes 7009 & 7003 are also listed for "Video-Accessory".

Although 2 of the 4 codes will work for the ROKU, then the TV does not work so the code for the Samsung TV has to be re-entered to return to the TV. Then, when returning to the ROKU, the code for the Express has to be re-entered to navigate the ROKU. Just becomes a viscous circle. Therefore, unless a solution is found, I am back to using two remote controls; one for the TV and one for the Roku.

The ROKU Express works fine. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DesertOutlaw
Binge Watcher

Re: ROKU Express codes for universal remote with Samsung TV

Jump to solution

Believe I have figured out how to make the Monster remote work with a Samsung TV utilizing an antenna and a ROKU via a wireless connection.

Thanks to Tivoburkee stating "The Express or any stand alone Roku would not respond to the Roku tv IR code, they are completely different.", I decided to attempt a different approach other than manually entering the 48 possible combinations from the 4 ROKU codes that each worked when manually entered separately, and the 12 different Samsung TV codes that each worked when manually entered separately.

When manually entering the code first for the Samsung TV, followed by manually entering the code for the ROKU, the code for the ROKU would prevent the remote from performing functions for the TV. When the Samsung code was re-entered for the TV, the remote was prevented from performing functions for the ROKU. Therefore, a compatibility issue appears to exist between my Samsung TV and ROKU Express when manually entering the codes.     

Since two of the four ROKU codes under 'STREAMING PLAYER' were also listed under 'VIDEO-ACCESSORY in the reference sheet, I decided not to try those two codes which reduced the total number of possible code combinations to 24. However, I did not want to spend the time trying each of the 24 possible combinations. Therefore, decided to try a hybrid approach.

The approach I tried was to first perform an automatic brand search for the TV by pressing the 'TV' button on the remote, and while depressed, pressing the '4' button which correlates to Samsung TVs from a table provided in the instructions for the remote. When the light flashed once, I continued to press the two buttons. After a couple seconds, the buttons started to flash which indicated a code was being accessed. I continued to press the buttons until the TV turned off which indicated a code had been found and stored. The remote was then used to turn on the TV and EVERY button performed its function.

The next step was to manually enter the 4-digit code for the ROKU. So I pressed the 'AUX1' button and after it flashed, released it. Then pressed and held the 'SET' button until its light illuminated and was steady. Finished this step by entering the 1st of the two 4-digit ROKU codes (1966) into the remote. When the light went out, the code was saved.  I then entered the 2nd ROKU code (1992) for the 'AUX2' button. The remote now appears to work for the TV or when switched to the ROKU.

The only function that does not work on the Monster remote is the "GUIDE" button when in the TV mode. Since the 'GUIDE' button works when using the original Samsung remote, it appears an incompatibility issue exists with the ROKU code that prevents the 'GUIDE' button from performing its function when in the TV mode. Similar to the volume issue that use to exist with remote controls many years ago after entering a VCR code for many different brands of TVs.

Other than the function for the 'GUIDE' button being disabled after the code for the ROKU is entered, and having to place a strip of scotch tape along the side of the battery compartment lid, the Monster remote is not a bad inexpensive alternative solution for replacing two remote controls. Works well.

Feel free to close this post when deemed necessary.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

I don't know thing about this remote only seeing it from the pictures, there are two device keys at the top TV & Cab, and six more at the bottom. So are simply programming the tv device with tv code and then reprogramming for the roku? There must be instructions on how to program one of the other device keys with working roku code? You're the only one who can answer this. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
DesertOutlaw
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

There are instructions which have been followed. I just do not believe the codes for the ROKU Express are correct. 

Does not matter which universal remote is used. An old GE, Gemini or Samsung remote can navigate the ROKU using one of the codes which remain the same. However, it then prevents the TV from responding. Then the code for the TV has to be re-entered which halts the ROKU. Why I believe the codes are for the ROKU TV.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

The Express or any stand alone Roku would not respond to the Roku tv IR code, they are completely different. You want universal, go with One-For-All urc-7880 or the Inteset 422-3 universal remotes made by UEI. 

Edmund

DesertOutlaw
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Thank you. 

Discovered 12 codes that will operate the Samsung TV.

There are 4 codes that will operate the ROKU Express.

Now its a matter of learning the combination that works.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

This is your remote?

images.jfif

Edmund

DesertOutlaw
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Yes.

Programming the TV button under the power button at the top,

and either the AUX1 or AUX2 at the bottom for the ROKU.

0 Kudos
DesertOutlaw
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Believe I have figured out how to make the Monster remote work with a Samsung TV utilizing an antenna and a ROKU via a wireless connection.

Thanks to Tivoburkee stating "The Express or any stand alone Roku would not respond to the Roku tv IR code, they are completely different.", I decided to attempt a different approach other than manually entering the 48 possible combinations from the 4 ROKU codes that each worked when manually entered separately, and the 12 different Samsung TV codes that each worked when manually entered separately.

When manually entering the code first for the Samsung TV, followed by manually entering the code for the ROKU, the code for the ROKU would prevent the remote from performing functions for the TV. When the Samsung code was re-entered for the TV, the remote was prevented from performing functions for the ROKU. Therefore, a compatibility issue appears to exist between my Samsung TV and ROKU Express when manually entering the codes.     

Since two of the four ROKU codes under 'STREAMING PLAYER' were also listed under 'VIDEO-ACCESSORY in the reference sheet, I decided not to try those two codes which reduced the total number of possible code combinations to 24. However, I did not want to spend the time trying each of the 24 possible combinations. Therefore, decided to try a hybrid approach.

The approach I tried was to first perform an automatic brand search for the TV by pressing the 'TV' button on the remote, and while depressed, pressing the '4' button which correlates to Samsung TVs from a table provided in the instructions for the remote. When the light flashed once, I continued to press the two buttons. After a couple seconds, the buttons started to flash which indicated a code was being accessed. I continued to press the buttons until the TV turned off which indicated a code had been found and stored. The remote was then used to turn on the TV and EVERY button performed its function.

The next step was to manually enter the 4-digit code for the ROKU. So I pressed the 'AUX1' button and after it flashed, released it. Then pressed and held the 'SET' button until its light illuminated and was steady. Finished this step by entering the 1st of the two 4-digit ROKU codes (1966) into the remote. When the light went out, the code was saved.  I then entered the 2nd ROKU code (1992) for the 'AUX2' button. The remote now appears to work for the TV or when switched to the ROKU.

The only function that does not work on the Monster remote is the "GUIDE" button when in the TV mode. Since the 'GUIDE' button works when using the original Samsung remote, it appears an incompatibility issue exists with the ROKU code that prevents the 'GUIDE' button from performing its function when in the TV mode. Similar to the volume issue that use to exist with remote controls many years ago after entering a VCR code for many different brands of TVs.

Other than the function for the 'GUIDE' button being disabled after the code for the ROKU is entered, and having to place a strip of scotch tape along the side of the battery compartment lid, the Monster remote is not a bad inexpensive alternative solution for replacing two remote controls. Works well.

Feel free to close this post when deemed necessary.

devid123

Jump to solution
0 Kudos