Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BS_Bernard
Channel Surfer

ROKU 3 Responds only to Phone App

Jump to solution

Suddenly my remote stopped working. The pairing button does nothing. The home screen comes on the TV but no remote buttons do anything. I even bought another ROKU 3 and it fails the same way.
I could use the ROKU phone app remote but I prefer the ROKU remote that I have used for many years.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BS_Bernard
Channel Surfer

Re: ROKU 3 Responds only to Phone App

Jump to solution

It appears that I have two bad remotes that came with two ROKU 3. Both remotes fail the same (pair button does nothing)

I got a cheap Brand X remote and it works. The Brand X remote is different in several ways.
1) It uses AAA batteries and not AA
2) Pair button is in the center not to the side
3) It has no A and B buttons
4) There is no Amazon button

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
BS_Bernard
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

It appears that I have two bad remotes that came with two ROKU 3. Both remotes fail the same (pair button does nothing)

I got a cheap Brand X remote and it works. The Brand X remote is different in several ways.
1) It uses AAA batteries and not AA
2) Pair button is in the center not to the side
3) It has no A and B buttons
4) There is no Amazon button

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

The brand X remote is certainly only using IR, so there is no pairing to be done. You lose the point-anywhere functionality, but IR remotes are simple and generally have long battery life. 

There are two different versions of the Roku 3. The first (4200) was released March 2013, while the other (4230) was released April 2015. They both came with a WiFi Direct remote, and the 4230 had voice search as well. With either version, you are going to start encountering channels that either don't work well or can't be installed at all. It's a good player, but just keep that in mind if you try installing a new channel and it doesn't install.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos