Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rochilla
Level 7

RC250 Roku

I purchased a "Roku TV™ Voice remote" for use with my Roku 3. When I pair the remote, it does not detect that the remote has volume control buttons on the side. When I try to set up TV control, it says the current remote does not support tv control. It pairs as "RC250" remote. This is not the original remote that came with my Roku 3, but a new remote I ordered from Roku last week.  It has volume controls and a mute button, but no headphone jack. It has a power button for the TV which works. Can the volume control be made to work?

Thank you!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
45 Replies
DBDukes
Level 10

Re: RC250 Roku

"rochilla" wrote:
I purchased a "Roku TV™ Voice remote" for use with my Roku 3. When I pair the remote, it does not detect that the remote has volume control buttons on the side. When I try to set up TV control, it says the current remote does not support tv control. It pairs as "RC250" remote. This is not the original remote that came with my Roku 3, but a new remote I ordered from Roku last week.  It has volume controls and a mute button, but no headphone jack. It has a power button for the TV which works. Can the volume control be made to work?

Thank you!

The remotes for the Roku TV devices aren't interchangeable with remotes from Sticks or Boxes.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Level 14

Re: RC250 Roku

 Sorry you bought the wrong remote, you could have gone with second remote down on roku accessories page, or the fourth, each has TV POWER & VOLUME listed under its name. Where the one you bought didn't, which was the third remote down.
https://www.roku.com/accessories/remotes
Roku tv IR remotes don't work on Roku sticks & Console at all. Roku tv Wifi remotes can be paired to Roku stick or Console, but the volume won't work. But Roku stick and Console wifi remotes can be paired with many Roku TV's, and volume will work because its being controlled by RF and not IR.
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

Re: RC250 Roku

Just a note of clarification, Roku set top boxes do support IR remotes. However, those don't pair.

For example, if you had an Ultra and an Express, the Ultra remote (RF) will only work with the Ultra. The Express remote {IR) will control either.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Level 14

Re: RC250 Roku

But if you just unplug the Ultra, its remote will now control the express via IR. It switches from wifi to IR for roku commands when the roku its paired with is unplugged from the power. Plug the ultra back in and presto its WIFI again.
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

Re: RC250 Roku

"Tivoburkee" wrote:
But if you just unplug the Ultra, its remote will now control the express via IR. It switches from wifi to IR for roku commands when the roku its paired with is unplugged from the power. Plug the ultra back in and presto its WIFI again.

That is something I was completely unaware of. I'm traveling now, but will be home this weekend and am gonna try all kinds of experiments with my Ultra remote and several older devices.

Thanks for the tip.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Level 14

Re: RC250 Roku

Remember this only goes for the roku remotes with power keys, which means it has IR on board. The first model of ultra didn't have IR.
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

Re: RC250 Roku

"Tivoburkee" wrote:
Remember this only goes for the roku remotes with power keys, which means it has IR on board. The first model of ultra didn't have IR.

Gotcha. I have the 4660. I also have an enhanced remote with power button I bought as a 2nd remote. And a shipload of older Roku devices in the shelf. I now got my whole Saturday planned.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Level 14

Re: RC250 Roku

This also goes for roku stick remotes, ones that came with the 3800 & 3810, its useless on them, but I can only guess its by product of having the IR emitter on board. It comes in handy when programming a universal remote to get direct access app/ch keys into your universal.
0 Kudos
rochilla
Level 7

Re: RC250 Roku

Tivoburkee, you say I bought the wrong remote, but the description of the 3rd remote down appears to say it supports the volume feature and works with all roku TV models. Here is how it's described. Why shouldn't this work? Thanks!

Use your voice to search for movies, shows, or actors across more than 1,000 channels. Plus, you can power up and change the volume on most TVs, so no more juggling remotes.
Compatible with:
- All Roku TV™ models
0 Kudos